Yet another Morrisons thread

scottishtv

WillPS wrote:And from what I've seen so far, completely unused. M&S shoppers like their packet food!!
When I was a young lad, I worked for M&S at the weekends - warehouse, emptying lorries, collecting trolleys etc. It was about eight years ago now, but anyway they had a butchery counter at the store I worked in called "Butcher's Shop". I think some other Scottish stores had them too.

Anyway, the 'butcher' just stood there all day in a green apron and daft straw hat waiting for people to come and buy some overpriced meat.

No need to worry about a lack of packet food though. The meat, of course, arrived in the store pre-arranged on little black trays covered in sealed clear plastic wrap filled with nitrogen. As a warehouse boy, the best bit was to split the pack open as quickly as you could and try to get enough nitrogen wafting in your face to take your breath away for a second or so. Of course BOC (the distribution company - now called Gist) put big labels on the packs telling you not to do this.

Good business idea: the supplier (ScotBeef) just took the same fillet steaks and put them on a tray instead, BOC already had all the gases ready to pump into the packing to keep it looking nice and pink, and the store simply laid it out in a pretendy 'just cut up' fashion and charged the customer 10-20% more for the same product that was sitting on a shelf in the next aisle.

Except no-one really fell for it, and the waste levels were high. They scrapped that, put in an oven/'bakery' instead - which just warms up frozen baguettes and muffins - but it did a lot better. Oh yes, and a rack of greetings cards too. They always seemed to sell very well and got plenty of space as a result.

Nothing's changed enough for me to think people want interaction at food counters now. Isn't that the point of supermarkets - getting what you want without having to speak to people?
WillPS

Nick Harvey wrote:Ahem! The answer to that is to stop hanging around in the lingerie department!
There has to be some advantage to taking your girlfriend shopping!
scottishtv wrote:
WillPS wrote:And from what I've seen so far, completely unused. M&S shoppers like their packet food!!
When I was a young lad, I worked for M&S at the weekends - warehouse, emptying lorries, collecting trolleys etc. It was about eight years ago now, but anyway they had a butchery counter at the store I worked in called "Butcher's Shop". I think some other Scottish stores had them too.

Anyway, the 'butcher' just stood there all day in a green apron and daft straw hat waiting for people to come and buy some overpriced meat.

No need to worry about a lack of packet food though. The meat, of course, arrived in the store pre-arranged on little black trays covered in sealed clear plastic wrap filled with nitrogen. As a warehouse boy, the best bit was to split the pack open as quickly as you could and try to get enough nitrogen wafting in your face to take your breath away for a second or so. Of course BOC (the distribution company - now called Gist) put big labels on the packs telling you not to do this.

Good business idea: the supplier (ScotBeef) just took the same fillet steaks and put them on a tray instead, BOC already had all the gases ready to pump into the packing to keep it looking nice and pink, and the store simply laid it out in a pretendy 'just cut up' fashion and charged the customer 10-20% more for the same product that was sitting on a shelf in the next aisle.

Except no-one really fell for it, and the waste levels were high. They scrapped that, put in an oven/'bakery' instead - which just warms up frozen baguettes and muffins - but it did a lot better. Oh yes, and a rack of greetings cards too. They always seemed to sell very well and got plenty of space as a result.

Nothing's changed enough for me to think people want interaction at food counters now. Isn't that the point of supermarkets - getting what you want without having to speak to people?
Butchers Shop - that's what they're calling it!! Yes wouldn't be surprised if it's exactly the same stuff. I've worked for Counters for Sainsbury's before - and a lot of the stuff was just joints of what is available pre-packed with a price premium, as you say.
Pete

The cheese counter at Sainsburys is one of the things that causes me grief in a bizzare way. I often buy the canadian cheddar from there rather than the packaged variety in the fridge. However I know fine well its identical but comes in a bigger wrapper and then is cut up. But I think it tastes nicer for some reason.

However I then wonder whether all I'm doing is causing more waste plastic as they have to unpack it from the ititial plastic, then wrap it in two layers of polythene in the shop, then when I get it home the sticker inevitably causes the thing film to tear meaning I ahve to get another piece of cling film to keep it fresh. Therefore buying the prepacked one and just repackaing once would save two bits of plastic in theory.

I think I'll write to that "omg what about my carbon footprint" column in the Graun with my concerns.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

It is the same, but the way it's kept might be the cause of the different flavour. You could try experimenting with getting a piece pre-packed, then divide it in to two, wrap it in cling film and leave it for a couple of days.
scottishtv

WillPS wrote:Butchers Shop - that's what they're calling it!!
Maybe this was only a Scottish thing - but Inverness, Aberdeen and Edinburgh had these counters (likely Glasgow and others too served by the Cumbernauld distribution centre). The units were also hellish from a maintenance point of view as there was a sink involved - always leaking/getting blocked, the refrigeration was bespoke and leaked, the mist skoosher things frequently failed, and electrics/lighting always needed a call out if something went wrong.
Gareth

The Stockport M&S also had a Butcher's shop too so it spread further south than the Scottish border. It too was quickly changed into a bakery.

Fresh fish counters have also been tried before, the M&S out of town store at Handforth Dean in Cheshire originally had a massive section with a Deli, Butcher and Fish counter all next to each other. All have been removed now for more shelving/chilled space with a larger bakery counter in another part of the store.
Pete

The Dundee M&S moved its bakery from one side of the store to the other in its most recent revamp, due to this there is no plumbing for the sink so the person doing the bakery has to bring a big wierd portable sink with a tank of water down in the lift every morning from another part of the shop.

Having said that M&S's doughnuts are exquisite, even if they are just frozen and cooked on site, but its not the point, theyre the best ones around.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Ebeneezer Scrooge

Hymagumba wrote:Having said that M&S's doughnuts are exquisite, even if they are just frozen and cooked on site, but its not the point, theyre the best ones around.
Now I've read enough - not only has the Morrisons thread been overtaken by M&S talk, but you're claiming they've out doughnutted Morrisons too? Pfft...

Maybe I should go and sample some... in the name of science, or at least engineering.
Snarky
cdd

I found this out the other way around - not being a regular purchaser of doughnuts I bought some M&S chocolate covered ones which were divine.

Then I got some equivelent ones from tesco and was nearly sick. says it all!
WillPS

Has anyone noticed that the last remaining Safeway stores in the UK (those purchased by CI Traders in the Channel Islands) have changed their logo to remove the curvy line and they've changed their colour scheme to something very similar to Morrison? There's no clean version, but you can see what I mean in their annoying rotating image on their corporate site: http://www.sandpiperci.com/safeway.php

I wonder if Sandpiper CI could potentially bring the Safeway brand back to the mainland? Still think it's a massive missed opportunity by Morrisons.
wells

That's very nice branding, although I'm not sure I'm massive fan of supermarket using the colour green, it only seems to work in Waitrose for me.