Yet another Morrisons thread

thegeek

WillPS wrote:The whole system is a bit shite. Did you notice the "please scan your Match & More screen" actually depicts one of the trial Morrisons More cards?
The self-service till in my local M Local was working the other day (a rare treat - they're always broken), and I noticed it invites me to scan my Match & More card - despite the scheme not operating there.
WillPS

What happens if you do?
thegeek

WillPS wrote:What happens if you do?
Are you interested enough for me to register for a card to find out?
Pete

thegeek wrote:
yes. yes I am.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

thegeek wrote:
Or just grab a temporary card from a proper Morrisons if that's easier for you. The M Local in Sheffield doesn't have self serve tills, if I get a chance to get to the new one in Nottingham station I'll have a go.
thegeek

Pete wrote:
thegeek wrote:
yes. yes I am.
I've not forgotten this request, I've just not been in the store yet when they've had:
  1. the items that I'm looking for
  2. at least one operational self-service till
We did try out their home delivery service, though. It has a few quirks - for example, if you want to buy a lime, it gives you the option of buying it in a pack size of 1, 3, or 4; and you can then buy several packs in that size. Our two limes arrived individually wrapped, with a little polythene jacket round each one. There are a few hints that the service is provided by Ocado - the big grey carrier bags (with, I think, the same fridge/freezer/cupboard colour scheme); the exceptionally friendly driver; and the occasional freebie, like this chap:

Martin Phillp

I've discovered that you can scan the Match & More card before pressing the Finish & Pay button. A 'MORE' card icon pops up on the top of the screen when you do so.
TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil

The "M Discount" in Preston (previously "Morrisons Discount") has now gone to being just a normal Morrisons. All the bespoke POS is now just the normal style, and they also have a standard cafe now. They've also done away with all the bulk-buy stuff. They have, however, gained a halal butchers counter which is separate from the main one.

This is how it was, if you recall: http://m.retail-week.com/5055539.article
JAS84

10 branches are closing, including the one nearest to me.
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Morrison ... story.html
bilky asko

JAS84 wrote:10 branches are closing, including the one nearest to me.
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Morrison ... story.html
I always intended to visit that branch of Morrisons when I was in Hull, but the bus there also stopped at the Holderness Road branch, so I always went there instead (incidentally, I believe that Morrisons is an ex-Tesco - it looks quite dated from the outside).

That North Point one isn't terribly big at around 10,000 sq ft, but it looks a lot more modern. I can imagine why it was loss-making though, as it was a bit out of the way.

It'd be interesting to know what it was like inside, considering its size (and being an ex-Netto).
WillPS

Some of the 10 stores Morrisons are closing are actually former Safeway stores which Somerfield acquired then Co-op divested. That'll make it the second time Morrisons close/sell these stores inside 10 years.

Conversely, the former Netto stores may well still be owned by Dansk, in which case I reckon they'll probably return to being Nettos once more.

I'm disappointed to see Dalton Philips going. He has always struck me as having the right ideas, and it certainly doesn't reflect well that the former board, who made a huge catalogue of errors when integrating Safeway, have been harping on about how everything he's done is wrong. It isn't his fault he inherited a chain with no convenience stores, no proper stock management/ordering system, no online presence and stores which hadn't got over the 90s trend of having fake storefronts.

I've long harped on about the many opportunities Sir Ken wasted through sheer arrogance with the Safeway takeover; but I think every passing year for Morrisons highlights what a colossal fuck up it really was.