Windows Vista set for 2006

martindtanderson

Today the project known as 'Longhorn' has been christened Windows Vista

Fireboy

Why?
Pete

odd name although it no doubt is because it's a "platform" for computing waffle waffle etc
"He has to be larger than bacon"
cdd

Arrrghhh! I'm going to go absolutely mad with all the mispronunciation of the name of this OS.
Pete

butwell it's better than LongHorn in the sense you wouldn't get morons randomly capitalising it "FireFox" style.
DJGM

Windows Vista . . . Potential lawsuits aplenty, to keep Microsoft's lawyers busy for a while!

:arrow: One potential lawsuit.
:arrow: Another potential lawsuit.
:arrow: Yet another potential lawsuit.
:arrow: And another potential lawsuit.
:arrow: Oh look, another potential lawsuit.

How many other potential lawsuits this may cause, goodness only knows!

Unless of course, Mr Gates and the Redmond Gang, are planning several Vista related buy outs.
noelfirl

The time and effort that went into designing the logo really show don't they? Or is this just a temporary one?
Andrew Wood

cdd wrote:Arrrghhh! I'm going to go absolutely mad with all the mispronunciation of the name of this OS.
Umm, how? Surely there's only the one way of saying it isn't there? Or are you thinking people will be missing out the 't' and calling it Windows Visa?! Could you imagine - the Microsoft Bank credit card...
BBC LDN

Andrew Wood wrote:
cdd wrote:Arrrghhh! I'm going to go absolutely mad with all the mispronunciation of the name of this OS.
Umm, how? Surely there's only the one way of saying it isn't there? Or are you thinking people will be missing out the 't' and calling it Windows Visa?! Could you imagine - the Microsoft Bank credit card...
I think he's referring to the "correct" pronunciation - "vees-ta" - being shunned in favour of the more anglicised pronunciation - "vis-tur". I don't quite see why this should be an issue though - there are dozens of words whose pronunciation is amended to suit the distinct sounds of other languages when they are transferred across. I've never heard an English person pronouncing "rendezvous" in English conversation with the correct throaty rasp that would be required in French; I only ever hear "ron-day-voo" when in fact it should be pronounced very quickly, and it should start from the back of the throat with a subtle "h" at the beginning: "hruon-deh-voo".

It's the nature of language that foreign words used in the context of another language take on the pronunciations and inflexions of the latter language. I don't understand why this is a such a source of irritation.
Pete

maybe it's because it'll be mispronounced on adverts and we know advertising is the source of all evil
martindtanderson

Looking closely at the logo, it uses Microsoft's Segoe Font, the 'Microsoft' from the logo has been ditched, the Window's Flag logo is now transparent and has a different lighting effect.

It would of probably been a mistake for them to change the flag logo dramatically so soon. Windows Xp ditched the original Windows logo, so a slight refresh is nice in my opinion.