MSN blocking files

russnet

Try this. I'm using the latest MSN Messenger. All was fine for a few weeks until it decided to block people sending files to me. I can send files quite happily but if someone sends sommat to me, it comes up with:-

Mr X tried to send you a file (filename.jpg). This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe.

I've had a look at my Firewall (McAfee) and that seems fine, well no different from any other time. I had a look at my Internet Settings and thats on Medium Low but I haven't changed anything recently so I'm not sure why it would have changed.

Any ideas guys?
All Appreciated as always.
Thanks
Orry Verducci

No problem here with MSN and McAfee Firewall. Have you checked the settings in MSN Messenger?
SteveL

I think the latest version of MSN Messenger (7.0.0777) blocks some files by default, including MP3s. Did it start happing after you upgraded your version of MSN?

ISTR finding a patch for it on http://www.mess.be at the time, it should still be there.
russnet

Well I had MSN 7 Beta before getting the real version but I think that was a ok for a while before I encountered this problem. I don't know if is the firewall because McAfee for some reason it doesn't like any of my FTP programs and sometimes I have to disable the firewall to get them to work. I've had a look at the ports which the firewall runs on but they seem fine.

With regards to the settings. I've had a look in there but unless I'm being blind. There isn't really anything to do with file transfer set up. Just where you would like the file to go and if you want a virus check to be run on the file.

As for the link cheers for that. I will have a gander.
Chris

With regards to the settings. I've had a look in there but unless I'm being blind. There isn't really anything to do with file transfer set up. Just where you would like the file to go and if you want a virus check to be run on the file.
More info on the blocking here. The patch program that SteveL is talking about is available on there as well.

I've not upgraded to v7 yet (can't stand it as it looks bloated more than ever) so I can't vouch for its usefulness. I don't intend upgrading to v7 at all.
Orry Verducci

About that FTP bit, Filezilla works fine here. What version of firewall do you have, I have McAfee Personal Firewall Plus.
russnet

Sorry for the delay guys. Just to update you. Thanks for the link above, however :D there was a message on my MSN asking if I want to update it to the latest revision and based on a couple of people sending me files, it went thru fine.

As for FTP, I think it's got a life of it's own. I use the McAfee programs as mentioned above. Sometimes it will happily start when I connect to my FTP program (it doesnt matter which one I use) but sometimes I could leave it dormant and the FTP program times out but as soon as I try to connect again, the firewall plays up.