My Internet Explorer was broken by nasty new spyware

marksi

I have tried to fix it but I can't.

When you click on a link which requires IE to open a new window, nothing happens, IE freezes for about 30 seconds, then returns to normal but without having opened the new window.

This is apparently a "known issue", and there are articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. I've tried them, and it still doesn't work. Microsoft helpfully suggest "re-installing your operating system" when you have exhausted their "fixes".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281679/EN-US/

I'm not going to be doing that. Any suggestions?
Orry Verducci

When IE went funny on me I had to pay for XPLite which removed IE, the render engine and all other traces. I then had to get it to put it all back again.
cat

*cough splutter*

Firefox

*cough*
russnet

My old PC use to be like that but then it was so bug ridden with spyware and viruses that I wasn't surprised in the end. It go to the stage where anything connected to the internet except Netscape wouldn't load up and ended up crashing blaming various dll files.

Unforunately due to the system being old as it was and naughty me not having a back up plan. I decided to go for the expensive route and just buy a new PC :-) Well, I needed one in the end!
TVDragon

cat wrote:*cough splutter*

Firefox

*cough*
Indeed -- can't think of any reason why you would want Explorer back.

Mind you clips from hmv won't play for me on Firefox, but that's it.
marksi

I'm using Mozilla now, but it's just annoying me that IE is broken. It appears to have happened following installation of MSN7.0. Tried System Restore. Had no effect. This PC is only 6 weeks old, so relatively "clean".
Jamez
Banned

Pffhh...

If you're going to use Firefox and you like using those tabs (rather than opening a new window as you do in IE), make sure you've got lots and lots and lots of free RAM.

Firefox completely ground my 128mb RAM laptop into the ground, and I still refuse to use it as my laptop browser.
User Removed
Chris

TVDragon wrote:Indeed -- can't think of any reason why you would want Explorer back.
Because it does the job, doesn't take a fucking age to start up and doesn't have all sorts of bizarre anomalies associated with its operation such as disappearing bookmarks etc.

There's 3 reasons.
Jamez
Banned

Chris wrote:
TVDragon wrote:Indeed -- can't think of any reason why you would want Explorer back.
Because it does the job, doesn't take a fucking age to start up and doesn't have all sorts of bizarre anomalies associated with its operation such as disappearing bookmarks etc.

There's 3 reasons.
Indeed, and me being the sad git I am, I've timed the opening times (from the moment I click the icon, until it's completely loaded and settled) of my most used applications:

IE - 3 seconds
Firefox - 11 seconds
Netscape - 8 seconds

Photoshop - 24 seconds
Outlook Express - 27 seconds
Dreamweaver - 18 seconds
MSN Messenger (not including signing in time) - 5 seconds
Adobe Audition - 15 seconds
Windows Media Player - 39 seconds (why?!?!)
Windows Media Player Version 6 - 2 seconds
User Removed
TVDragon

Chris wrote:

There's 3 reasons.
Well on my pc it loads in no more than 4 seconds -- perhaps it's because it's nowhere near full.

Never had disappearing anything -- indeed I've never had appearing anything either, such as the attacks I somehow got with IE.

Surely there's nothing stopping you opening more than one window -- tabs aren't compulsory.
tomell761
Banned

:? Anybody tried Maxthon? Pretty neat; can use either Mozilla Gecko engine or the IE one, tabbed browsing, RSS reader, banner and popup blocker etc, fully skinnable although they do slow it down a bit and if that wasn't enough there's lots of useful plugins for it.

Tom 8)