Trams - I love 'em, but are they worth the money?

johnnyboy

A really geeky interest of mine is trams.

I never ever thought about them until I was a student in Sheffield, when the tram system was near being completed.

I ended up working for Supertram for 6 months in a part-time job as a conductor.

Trams, especially the supertrams in Sheffield, Croydon and Nottingham, lend something continental and sexy to a city. Yes, they always mainly undershoot the ambitious passenger targets in their proposals, but I would quite happily take a tram where I wouldn't take a bus.

Should every major conurbation in the UK get extensive tram systems like in Amsterdam and Prague?

[/geek]
martindtanderson

I've only ever used the Metro in Manchester, and I find them smooth, and reliable.

Living in London I dont get up north much, so I look forward to the possibility of trams in Central London.
iSon

johnnyboy wrote:A really geeky interest of mine is trams.

I never ever thought about them until I was a student in Sheffield, when the tram system was near being completed.

I ended up working for Supertram for 6 months in a part-time job as a conductor.

Trams, especially the supertrams in Sheffield, Croydon and Nottingham, lend something continental and sexy to a city. Yes, they always mainly undershoot the ambitious passenger targets in their proposals, but I would quite happily take a tram where I wouldn't take a bus.

Should every major conurbation in the UK get extensive tram systems like in Amsterdam and Prague?

[/geek]

Trams are pretty useful things. Croydon Tramlink costs as much as a bus fare does and they're nice and smooth and fairly quick. Although the trouble is when you're not using them. The ones in Croydon decide to try and run you down and then ring the bell.

I don't think you could ever describe Croydon as continental and sexy though. :lol:
Good Lord!
Cheese Head
Banned

We got off the train in Nottingham and impulsively jumped on the new tram system.

Emily, a friend of mine didn't know if it was free or not (duh)... so we found out it was like 2.50 for an all day ticket or something... it came to a stop and before the conductor came down we jumped off...

It was worth the risk just to evade the Big Issue salesman, herion addicts, and people that "lost their train ticket"

Well, thats the end of my *interesting* anecdote.
» James »
I don't know my future after this weekend, and I don't want to
freddy

Ed Hammond

I love trams, they're marvellous. Especially the ones in Blackpool. Every time I go up to visit my dad I hop on the tram to visit my grandma in Bispham.

Is that First Group corporate livery I see on that Tramlink tram? How depressing.
Jamez
Banned

I've never seen a tram :oops:
User Removed
nwtv2003

I've used Manchester's Metrolink a few times and it is a very reliable service. Though at the moment it only has a couple of lines, the lines only begin and end at Altrincham, Eccles, Piccadilly and Bury. But they do want to extend it.

Even though the trams use the main roads in the City Centre of Manchester they have no priority at Traffic Lights, even they have to wait at times. Though saying that it is useful as it goes straight into the City Centre, where as the Trains don't.
Mark Boulton

freddy wrote:Image
Oh no! I always hoped Tramlink would stick with their generic crimson-and-cream livery, rather than let an operator stick their corporate colours all over it.

I thought TfL could stipulate what livery was used in any case? First don't get to use their corporate colours on London Buses.
The key to 'Dancercising' is the ingenious coupling of the word, 'Dance', with the word, 'Circumcise'.
Anonymous

Bit of trivual information. The Trams is the nickname of Croydon FC who play in the league below the Conference. For more information their web site can be found here - http://www.thelasttramhome.cjb.net/

Might be the nickname of Blackpool FC as well?
Anonymous

Trams are fab. They're usually very clean (in Sheffield at any rate) and a very smooth ride.

And they're very nice looking as well.