Upgrade my Dell: Hard drive problems

scottishtv

So, I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to computer components, but I'm a very weary buyer. I'm also very careful at following instructions so I'm not too worried about opening up my computer and adding bits (I installed a Nebula TV card and also a DVD drive).

So, I've got a Dell Dimension 4550 (coming up for two years old) and 60GB just isn't enough for me anymore so I decided to buy a second hard drive and install it.

Where to buy from? Well, it's a Dell. I went to the Dell store, found my model and there was only one drive which it had listed next to my model. Assuming this was for 'optimal compatibility' or something, I thought 'oh well, I'll just buy it - at least I can be assured it will work (after all my model name is there) and it's a decent price'. The site stated:
'120GB IDE (7,200rpm) Hard Drive for Dimension 2400MT/ 2350MT/ 4550MT etc etc.' altogether for £105.75 - claiming this was with £35.25 off - usual price, they say, is £141.

I don't know why I assumed it was going to be a Dell part, but usually if it's another brand it will say so on the website. Today, it arrived. They sent out a 160GB (not 120 as ordered) Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 ATA/133 drive.

I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. I've heard a lot of bad (and some good) things about Maxtor drives and I'm not sure whether I should even take it out of the box. It wasn't what I was expecting (and if I did want this brand I could have got this on Dabs for about £60 + P&P).

Any suggestions as to what to do now? I've already contacted them asking about why they sent the wrong size and why they sent a Maxtor drive. (waiting for an email reply).

What would you do if in my shoes? I'm tempted just to send it back, but am I just being a bit too dismissive? Also, what other brands or drives would you recommend? I don't mind spending the cash for a decent one (which is why I wrongly assumed this Dell component would be good). Are there any widely known compatability issues with Dell? or is a hard drive pretty much standard?

Eek! Sorry if I appear a bit dumb. Thanks in advance.
Bail

Wack it in, a hard drive is a hard drive there a millions out there. It'll be fine. The fact it's a Dell make no differance to what hard drive you should choose. I'd also be happy they sent a bigger one than you ordered, as long as you paid for the cheaper one.
Dr Lobster*

some maxtor drives are very poor in terms of reliability, but the newer models, i am informed are much much better. have a search on usenet for that model and see what kind of posts turn up. if you find a lot of people saying that it dies after a while, then you might want to consider getting another drive.
scottishtv

Bail wrote:Wack it in, a hard drive is a hard drive there a millions out there. It'll be fine. The fact it's a Dell make no differance to what hard drive you should choose. I'd also be happy they sent a bigger one than you ordered, as long as you paid for the cheaper one.
I still paid over the odds for it though! I've decided to send it back and opted for a Samsung 120GB SpinPoint. It's here.

Plus, it's on it's way for £60 inc P&P. Also, turns out that the 160GB drive wouldn't have done in my instance as the system only has a 32bit LBA disk controller. I would've needed to install a software overlay for any hard disk over 137GB, and that's something I just can't be bothered with.

Thanks for your help and advice though guys.
cwathen

Modern Maxtor drives are perfectly fine, I've had a 40GB drive spinning away (more or less) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 3 years now and don't have any reliability issues with it at all.

As for the size, well at the smaller end of the market it's not uncommon to get a drive larger than you ordered if it's supplied directly by the manufacturer since the smaller sizes still listed in shops often aren't actually being made any more, it's just old stock being sold off. But to order a 120GB drive and get a 160 is a bit odd.

There was no chance it'd be a Dell part - Dell don't make hard drives (in fact, Dell don't make much in the way of components at all, despite their marketing they are just another manufacturer which pulls components off the shelf and sells them in a pretty branded box), and I wouldn't bother with dealing with 'official' parts either - as long as what you are buying is compatible it doesn't matter where you buy it from. The wonderful thing about PCs is their non-proprietary nature, don't let the retailer convince you that 'official' components are any 'better' or 'safer' than something you find for yourself.