? 2nd HD Access ?

Martin

Got myself a new Dell pc but I want to use my old pc's hard drive in it as an additional one.

Its installed and set up, only problem is-

I can access the files on the hard drive (windows etc), but not my files held under my old pc's log in details which were password protected. So when I try to open the My Documents folder it throws up a box saying acccess denied, as if I were trying to access someone elses documents on a different log on.

Is there any way round this?

Once I get my files transfered over I'll clear the drive and use it for backup but I want some important files off it before I do.

Thanks
Martin
SteveL

Presuming you're using Windows XP, see if logging on as Administrator in safe mode helps.
Dr Lobster*

in addition to that, try taking ownership of the files by selecting advanced on the security tab in the properties dialog when you right-click the folder.

as stevel has said, if you've got windows xp home edition, you may need to start the pc in safemode and login with the local administrator account.

i must say, using windows xp security, i've not seen this happend before, since when you install a hard disk from another pc, because all the secuity identifiers are different, all the previous security enforements are usually rendered invalid.
Martin

Thanks to both of you.

I found the method of taking ownership of the files on another site where someone had the same problem so tried that and it worked :P

Not been able to reply because I've been trying to sort out a USB problem :roll: ...