Cable Modem/Home Network - Help Required!

Anonymous

Barrett wrote: Well,Sorry I just trying to help :(
I know you were, but the advice you were given was rather simple, and wouldn't you have thought that I would have tried what you suggested first?

Gavin, as for net view, only my main PC is showing, but wouldn't that be as expected? Both PC's are connected to the hub, and so is the modem.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Yes you are right, it shouldn't make a difference if your machines are networked. I was momentarily confusing myself between Internet Connection Sharing (which is what I used to use), and a using a router (which I do now).

Run the DOS prompt on the win98 machine and type winipcfg [enter], and tell me what it says.
Anonymous

Winipcfg reports:

Novell 2000 Adapter

Adapter Address: 00-20-18-44-D7-67
IP autoconfiguration Address: 169.254.189.20
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: <Blank>
Gavin Scott
Admin

Sky Digital wrote:Winipcfg reports:

Novell 2000 Adapter

Adapter Address: 00-20-18-44-D7-67
IP autoconfiguration Address: 169.254.189.20
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: <Blank>
Ok. Your win98 machine is not being assigned an IP address by the router. You can tell by the fact that it says, "IP autoconfiguration address", and the fact that the address starts 169.254.xxx.xxx. That range of numbers is specific to autoconfiguration (self-assigned) addresses.

I found this link which probably makes for good reading: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h. ... badip.html.

You could try the release and renew commands (if you are familiar with them - if not, ask), but first I suggest you look on the xp machine and click run, type cmd [enter] then type ipconfig [enter] and see what range the IP address should be. I suspect it will read something like 192.168.0.100.
Anonymous

The WinXP IP Config reports:

IP Address: 81.102.219.201
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 81.102.219.254
Gavin Scott
Admin

Hmm, I wasn't expecting to see that.

Anyone?

I'll have a read and see what I can find out.
Anonymous

Gavin Scott wrote:Hmm, I wasn't expecting to see that.

Anyone?

I'll have a read and see what I can find out.
The IP the WinXP is reporting is the same as the modem.
Gavin Scott
Admin

On the xp machine is your IP set manually or automatically?

I wouldnt have expected the cable modem IP and computer IP to be in the same range like that. Maybe I'm wrong.
Anonymous

automatically. I only want to do this so that my second PC can connect to the net without the main PC being on. I'm beginning to think that this may be asking a little too much of my setup? Should I just go back to ICS and a USB connection and have the main PC on whenever the other PC is on?
Anonymous

Thanks for your help Gavin, but I think I'll just go back to ICS and USB connection - at least that did work!
Anonymous