Cars: Yours Past & Present

Martin

Not wanting to depress James further but it got me wondering:

I know a few people drive on here (not literally) so would be interested to know what cars you have had past and present.

I'm on the look out for one as I'm planning on buying one by the summer. If you have any recommendations lets hear them. On the other hand if you've had a car that was a nightmare let us know also.
johnnyboy

Well, I'm 30 years old and just passed my driving test a few weeks ago, so I got a Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 for #1200.

Insurance is a ridiculous #545ish. I am a 30 year old man, not a friggin' boy racer!
Anonymous

2001: J-reg Rover 416 (was a nice car)

2002: M-reg Vauxhall Astra (1.6)

2003: L-reg Ford Mondeo ( 1.8 )

2004: P-reg Peugeot 406

2004 (2): Reliant Robin for £50 off the tip? :roll:
Martin

Might aswell tell you what I'm considering so far:

Ford Focus:
Nice car, about the right size, but its still a little expensive for my budget and I don't want to be forced into getting the cheapest one available regardless of condition.

Ford Scorpio:
Would absoloutely love one of these, a little big but they have a lot to offer for a good price. Would have to go for a diesel version though, either that or water down the petrol :P The insurance is, well, managable if I get it with another member of the family listed as a driver.

Ford Mondeo:
Another consideration, cheap enough as long as it's a decent enough one.

Other than those three, I'm open to suggestions.

As you might have guessed I don't want something too small. The idea of a running about in a black 3-door Renault Clio with tinted windows and an exhaust big enough for a small animal to get lost in doesnt appeal to me! No offense to anyone with a Clio though!
Martin

Jamez wrote: 2003: L-reg Ford Mondeo ( 1.8 )

Quite like the 406 myself, how much did you get it for if you dont mind me asking?
Dr Lobster*

First car I got (in 2000) was a Citroen AX 1.0 (L), cost me £1000 and the insurance was £700 (3rd party only) (I was 20 at the time)

After that, I got a Citroen Saxo Desire in 2001 (51) , cost about £6800 (brand new) insurance is about £300 (fully comp) and I still have this car today. I'm not planning on upgrading this car anytime soon since once i've finished paying for it in september, i'll have loads more money to play around with

(at present, due to my own stupidity, i'm actually paying about £500 a month for this, since i opted for lower monthly repayments, and a lump sum at the end, and i failed to save for the lump sum over the two and a half years i had it, and now i'm having to put loads away every month. stupid stupid i know)

I am fully aware that Citroen make cars that are best described as a grannies runabout, but to be honest, i've never had a problem with either car, and its fairly cheap to run because of the small engine- a must for your first car unless you want to payout a stupid amount of money for your insurance.
Anonymous

Martin wrote:
Jamez wrote: 2003: L-reg Ford Mondeo ( 1.8 )

Quite like the 406 myself, how much did you get it for if you dont mind me asking?
It was parked in a layby in town with £995 in the window.

I took it for a test drive, loved it, but the air-con or fans didnt seem to work. So he knocked it down to £800 and when I got it home I replaced the necessary fuse which had mysteriously not been working! :lol:
Dr Lobster*

Martin wrote:As you might have guessed I don't want something too small. The idea of a running about in a black 3-door Renault Clio with tinted windows and an exhaust big enough for a small animal to get lost in doesnt appeal to me! No offense to anyone with a Clio though!
If this is your first car, and you're considered to be in the 'boy racer' age bracket, you really should hold off buying a large, moderately powerful car. I suspect even a crappy old Scorpio would have over the odds insurance costing more than the car itself for the first year. Go for something cheap and small, the money you save on insurance can be put towards something bigger, better, and faster once you've built up a couple of years no claims.
Big Brother

Dr Sigmund Mohammad wrote:I am fully aware that Citroen make cars that are best described as a grannies runabout, but to be honest, i've never had a problem with either car, and its fairly cheap to run because of the small engine- a must for your first car unless you want to payout a stupid amount of money for your insurance.
lol well up here "Grannies Runabout" cars are any Nisan model lol. My mums always had Citroen cars. Saxo, then *I can't remember* but it was a big silver Citroen, a Xsara i think. Now she's got a C3 - which I hopefully I'll be learning to drive in rofl. It's fairly high but it's mega cumfy!
Dr Lobster*

Big Brother wrote:Now she's got a C3 - which I hopefully I'll be learning to drive in rofl. It's fairly high but it's mega cumfy!
They are really nice and light to drive, my only critisim is the piece of chasis between the front and side window is far too think, it can easily hide a sizable car from view.
MrTomServo

For illustrative purposes only ... not actually my car. Mine's blue. Dealer sets actual price. Price and availability may vary. Must take delivery from dealer stock by 20/4/2004.

I've had a 1999 Volkswagen Jetta (which is the US equivalent of a Bora) since ... uh ... 1999 ... and it has been the best car. I love it to pieces. With any car you choose, if you spend the time to get it serviced every 5,000 or 10,000 miles, then it will last a much longer time, and cost a lot less to maintain over the long haul.

If I had to, I'd definitely buy another Volkswagen. Solid cars.