Microsoft Windows 6.0 . . . ?

DJGM

Here's a handful of screengrabs of IE6.05 on Windows "Longhorn" . . .

IE6 browser window on Longhorn in Default "Slate" theme . . .

IE6 browser window on Longhorn using the "WindowsXP" theme . . .

IE6 browser window on Longhorn using the "Windows Classic" theme . . .

It has to be said that (IMO at least) the UI of IE on Longhorn really sucks!

Here's the Internet Options dialog, with the Pop Up Blocking feature turned on.

Here's the pop up blocking option on the "Tools" menu . . .

And here's the actual "Pop Up Window Management" dialog . . .

Hmmm, that seems vaguely familiar, does it not . . . ?

Finally, here's the "About Internet Explorer" dialog . . .

Right that's it for Longhorn on my "testbed" PC, until I get a newer build!
;)

Now do excuse me, while I format the thing, and test out Linspire 4.5 on it . . . !
Chris

DJGM wrote:Here's a handful of screengrabs of IE6.05 on Windows "Longhorn" . . .

IE6 browser window on Longhorn in Default "Slate" theme . . .

IE6 browser window on Longhorn using the "WindowsXP" theme . . .

IE6 browser window on Longhorn using the "Windows Classic" theme . . .

It has to be said that (IMO at least) the UI of IE on Longhorn really sucks!
It's not very often that I agree with you DJGM on the subject of IE, but I have to say that from those screenshots you have provided, that it indeed looks truly hideous!

The one with the default skin and the Windows XP skin looks bizarre - there is no forward button!

The classic theme looks a bit better but the 3D buttons makes it look very outdated. At least there is a forward button though. ;)

If there is one thing I hate about Windows 2000/XP by default all the buttons do not have labels on them. The back button has a label by it, but the forward button doesn't (how stupid is that?!) and also some the buttons like stop, refresh and history don't have a label and so people who are not so hot with computers do not know what they are for - I had someone come up to me the other day and ask how to get the history up. They should return it to Windows 98 style where all the buttons did have labels and people knew what they did!
Neil Jones

Chris wrote:If there is one thing I hate about Windows 2000/XP by default all the buttons do not have labels on them. The back button has a label by it, but the forward button doesn't (how stupid is that?!) and also some the buttons like stop, refresh and history don't have a label and so people who are not so hot with computers do not know what they are for - I had someone come up to me the other day and ask how to get the history up. They should return it to Windows 98 style where all the buttons did have labels and people knew what they did!
Well it is "selective text", I suppose the buttons that are labelled are the most commonly used ones. I mean you do use the Back button more than the forward one and I've yet to see anybody who isn't "hot with computers" make any use whatever of the forward, stop, refresh or home buttons on IE regardless of whether they're labelled or not. According to these users, Refresh is generally achieved by hitting the Go button again, Home is sorted by shutting down and restarting the browser and Stop would stop the internet.
Pete

See the slate one is quite nice but the other two are horrid.

What's with the menubar being in the wrong place too? Don't like that idea at all.

Popup blocking and stuff are the same as they are in SP2.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
cwathen

Flava wrote:ME was the home version but I understand that it is incredibly more flawed than 2000.
They were marketed together as though they complemented each other, with each being tailored to home or business use, on the face of it they even look pretty similar, with ME having a pretty accurate port of the 2000 interface, under the hood they were completely unrelated. ME was another update to Windows 95 and ran like crap, whilst 2000 was a major overhaul of Windows NT.
2000 isn't a bad piece of kit though - does everything Windows XP can do almost and is incredibly reliable.
Indeed it is, it's a shame it didn't come out a year or so before it did; it's lifetime as the latest and greatest was all too short. I can understand ME being replaced with XP only a year later, it was afterall just a stopgap update to tide them through until XP came along, but a hell of a lot of work went into 2000, it's a shame that Microsoft effectively made it old hat so quickly with XP being released barely 18 months later.
MarkN

Hymagumba wrote:See the slate one is quite nice but the other two are horrid.
I think that they're all horrid!
Pete

MarkN wrote:
Hymagumba wrote:See the slate one is quite nice but the other two are horrid.
I think that they're all horrid!
that's fair enough.

Why does only IE change skin by the way? why do the taskbar and sidebar stay the same colour?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Neil Jones

Hymagumba wrote:Why does only IE change skin by the way? why do the taskbar and sidebar stay the same colour?
IE6 being skinnable was inevitable really, it wouldn't surprise me if these skins posted here are actually only IE skins and not actual Windows skins.
ITV Lover

The sidebar and taskbar are skinned separately (when the sidebar is turned on, anyway), everything else is skinned as set in the Display Properties.