Where are they now... companies that bit the bullet

scottishtv

Johnny83 wrote:what happened to...
Thorn Security
Well, working part time as a Facilities Advisor for a well known retailer, I have a scary knowledge of fire and security systems (for a 20 year old).

Thorn Security are still trading but are owned by the bigger monster, Tyco Fire and Security. Website here. The link there takes you to their Asia site for some reason. Hmm. :?

They're not to be confused with Kidde Thorn Fire Protection (now owned by Chubb Fire Ltd).
ashley b

nwtv2003 wrote:If you want to see a load of closed shops I suggest you take a walk into Altrincham, in the past year or two the following shops have closed:

Our Price, Dixons, The Link, Dolcis all closed down in 2003, there aren't many good shops left there.
It's bloody terrible now Altrincham, as my local town I used to go there quite a bit but it's just getting rediculas now. Apprently It's because of huge rent hikes down George Street.

And the most recent casualty that I've noticed is Lucas bookshop/art shop. There really is bugger all there now except bars and bargin shops, I always end up going to Manchester now.

On other notes theres also a Martin's newsagents just down the road from where I work, and a Fads in Northenden.
*whistle*
nwtv2003

ashley b wrote:
nwtv2003 wrote:If you want to see a load of closed shops I suggest you take a walk into Altrincham, in the past year or two the following shops have closed:

Our Price, Dixons, The Link, Dolcis all closed down in 2003, there aren't many good shops left there.
It's bloody terrible now Altrincham, as my local town I used to go there quite a bit but it's just getting rediculas now. Apprently It's because of huge rent hikes down George Street.

And the most recent casualty that I've noticed is Lucas bookshop/art shop. There really is bugger all there now except bars and bargin shops, I always end up going to Manchester now.

On other notes theres also a Martin's newsagents just down the road from where I work, and a Fads in Northenden.
I wouldn't have guessed anything about the rent hikes, I always guessed it was because more and more people are switching to The Trafford Centre and in a way I don't blame them. Though as they only not too long ago opened a Tesco Extra that has to mean something, doesn't it? A few years ago we always went to Altrincham as we preferred it to Warrington, but now even Warrington has more shops, the better thing about Altrincham is that the Subway there has seating accomadation even if it pretty shit. Though as for Manchester I haven't been for some time now, it's very big compared to Altrincham and Warrington.
nwtv2003

It has just come to me, whatever happened to CIC, they always stuck their idents on loads of videos, usually Paramount ones. But I remember they had a scarier ident in the early 1990's. Also whatever happened to Tempo Video?
cwathen

It has just come to me, whatever happened to CIC, they always stuck their idents on loads of videos, usually Paramount ones. But I remember they had a scarier ident in the early 1990's. Also whatever happened to Tempo Video?
AFAIK, the CIC brand was a joint collaboration between Paramount and Universal to distribute their catalogue on video (later DVD aswell of course) in the UK.

I presume at some point Universal pulled out since I've got 1998 Battlestar Galactica videos prefaced with their (imo very impressive) movie frontcap which they introduced in the late 90's (and still use today).

I think CIC (presumably continuing as a brand of Paramount) died off at the end of 1999, based on the fact that the Star Trek: TNG season 2 videos I have (release in 1999) still has the CIC 'tunnel' graphics, whilst the season 3 videos from 2000 don't have them (well, they do actually have some of the same graphics, but the CIC brand doesn't appear anywhere).

Was the 'scary' ident you remember the one with the simple animation (just the CIC letters animating in white on a light blue screen) but with the bizarre electronic sound track (IIRC, a 'whoosh' sound followed by their 'der der, dir dir' jingle)?
nwtv2003

cwathen wrote:
AFAIK, the CIC brand was a joint collaboration between Paramount and Universal to distribute their catalogue on video (later DVD aswell of course) in the UK.

I presume at some point Universal pulled out since I've got 1998 Battlestar Galactica videos prefaced with their (imo very impressive) movie frontcap which they introduced in the late 90's (and still use today).

I think CIC (presumably continuing as a brand of Paramount) died off at the end of 1999, based on the fact that the Star Trek: TNG season 2 videos I have (release in 1999) still has the CIC 'tunnel' graphics, whilst the season 3 videos from 2000 don't have them (well, they do actually have some of the same graphics, but the CIC brand doesn't appear anywhere).

Was the 'scary' ident you remember the one with the simple animation (just the CIC letters animating in white on a light blue screen) but with the bizarre electronic sound track (IIRC, a 'whoosh' sound followed by their 'der der, dir dir' jingle)?
Cheers for the info, I vaguely remember it, as it appeared at the start of a copy of Grease that my sister had on Video, as at the time I was annoyed that my copy of Babe on video didn't have the ident on it for some reason.

I still have some of the late 90's ones on a Frasier Video (The Very Best of) and Beavis and Butt-Head Videos, which have MTV Video all over them.

Looking behind me I've just noticed that Universal may have pulled out, as I am looking at my American Pie 1 and 2 DVD Boxset, that has Universal and Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment on the side of it, so that may explain something. (But my copy of American Pie: The Wedding only has Universal on it)

But it's still strange that Paramount and Universal still own UCI.
Neil Jones

Thought this would be worth adding to this thread, from BBC News and an article about the impending rebrand of Freeserve to Wanadoo.

Whatever happened to these?

LONG LOST BRANDS
Opal Fruits, Marathon, Jif, Wispa, Cellnet, One2One, Abbey National, Midland Bank, Channel 5, Oil of Ulay, Line One, Mercury, BSB, British Caledonian

Let's see: Opal Fruits were rebranded as Starburst, Abbey National dropped the National, Cellnet is now o2, Channel 5 is now just five, BSB merged with Sky to make BSkyB, One2One is T-Mobile... Wasn't Mercury a telecommunication company like BT?
cdd

I wonder how valuable an original Opal Fruits wrapper is. I've kept one ever since the rebrand. The Opal Fruits brand sticks in my mind as clearly as ever, I can still remember that "drip" on the "a"!
nwtv2003

Neil Jones wrote:Thought this would be worth adding to this thread, from BBC News and an article about the impending rebrand of Freeserve to Wanadoo.

LONG LOST BRANDS
Opal Fruits, Marathon, Jif, Wispa, Cellnet, One2One, Abbey National, Midland Bank, Channel 5, Oil of Ulay, Line One, Mercury, BSB, British Caledonian

Let's see: Opal Fruits were rebranded as Starburst, Abbey National dropped the National, Cellnet is now o2, Channel 5 is now just five, BSB merged with Sky to make BSkyB, One2One is T-Mobile... Wasn't Mercury a telecommunication company like BT?
I didn't know Wispa had stopped!

But Mercury was a cable telephone company who in 1997 merged with Nynex and a load of small cable companies to form Cable and Wireless and Mercury eventually disappeared. Though Nynex still exsists in the USA, as it does stand for New York New England Xchange.
Neil Jones

nwtv2003 wrote:
Neil Jones wrote:Whatever happened to these?

LONG LOST BRANDS
Opal Fruits, Marathon, Jif, Wispa, Cellnet, One2One, Abbey National, Midland Bank, Channel 5, Oil of Ulay, Line One, Mercury, BSB, British Caledonia
I didn't know Wispa had stopped!
Neither did I, but I'm sure cwathen will be along at some point with one of his fascinating posts about Wispa and where the others have gone... ;)

Re: Mercury - I had a feeling it had gone down the Cable & Wireless route somehow, just couldn't remember the exact details.
Chris

Neil Jones wrote:Thought this would be worth adding to this thread, from BBC News and an article about the impending rebrand of Freeserve to Wanadoo.

LONG LOST BRANDS

Oil of Ulay was rebranded Oil of Olay and Lineone (the ISP I assume you are referring to?) was snapped up by Tiscali from BT.
But Mercury was a cable telephone company who in 1997 merged with Nynex and a load of small cable companies to form Cable and Wireless and Mercury eventually disappeared.
Whatever happened to Mercury payphones? I swear there used to be one down my high street a very long time ago but it was rebranded to interphone or something.