Another High Street Rebrand

Gavin Scott
Admin

Ooh.

Hello DAS. Ooh @ you also.
martindtanderson

I'm sad to say I havn't been in a Whimpy for about 8-9 years, and rarely see any in North, West, East or Central London.

The last time I saw one was a year ago in Clacton-on-Sea I think...

But from your Photo DAS, it is alot nicer than I remember, it was red and white checkerboard tiles on the wall, grotty mirrors, and plastic furniture!
nwtv2003

martindtanderson wrote:I'm sad to say I havn't been in a Whimpy for about 8-9 years, and rarely see any in North, West, East or Central London.
Can't say I've been to one since the mid-1990's, although they still have them in Runcorn and Liverpool, can't say they look really appealing.
steve
DAS

I should point out I didn't take that photo (I'm not that troubled yet) but stole it from the Wimpy website which for some reason has pictures of different resturant interiors.
Nini
Banned

I stand by my opinion of Wimpy even if you're swayed. I dislike Wimpy because through most of my life it's been a horrible backwards restaurant chain. Even though they're trying to regain a position in the industry once more it's still the same backwards restaurant chain as before and the reason for that is food, not interiors or logos, the stinking food. It's always been shit and I don't think prettying up a few branches will help that fucking piece of shit in a bun look appetising and don't you even fucking try and tell me a damn thing about that god-awful logo, makes the outside of the place look like it's came in from 1983. Yeah, the one prior was gaudy but at least it was taking a fucking step forward, this one is only here because the guys who took over have this logo and didn't figure to ask the people here what direction to take so now it looks like it's been too frigging cheap to update its logo since the 60's.

God I hate Wimpy and even with that hate it does come from a good place, only went into one at the beginning of the year and no, it wasn't any better than when I went in ten years prior.
Pete

I was under the impression that Wimpy only existed within megabowls.

On a related note, Little Chef no longer give free refills on tea. I therefore never go anymore.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
ashley b

I must say I've not seen a Wimpy oyutside the London region since the one in Altrincham closed. And that must have been about 15 years ago. They are, in my mind, a sort of antiquated chain, that are these days have no more respect than the generic fast food places you get everywhere, just part of a bit of a small, naff chain, just as much as "Chicken Cottage" and "Dixie Chicken".

And I saw the new Wilkinson logo on a store on Sunday and thought of this thread, alas I was in Rochester and away from my computer and so you all got here before me.
*whistle*
Nini
Banned

I was there with news of the Wilkinson rebrand way back in December but I didn't have pretty pics so nobody remembers...
Andrew Wood

Abbey, Alliance and Leicester, and Bradford and Bingley are all to be renamed Santander :arrow: Link

It had to happen, I suppose. But even though companies see the need to have a worldwide brand, I don't think individuals themselves care whether or not they see the same name whenever they go abroad.

Would it not have been more appropriate from a consumer point of view to have renamed the branches all as Abbey, say, and retain a familiar name?
Nini
Banned

Andrew Wood wrote:Abbey, Alliance and Leicester, and Bradford and Bingley are all to be renamed Santander :arrow: Link
Figured the liberal splashing of the Santander name since they brought out Abbey was an indication they'd be dumping the names for the new suave Spanish conquistador to move on in and take our women or something.
Pete

GE Money, purveyor of Topman/Burtons/Debenhams and many other store cards is also now owned by them and shall become Santander Cards Ltd.
"He has to be larger than bacon"