The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

iSon

Divorce?
Good Lord!
Martin Phillp

From Thursday, Sainsburys Brand Match will only be comparing prices from Asda. This comes after a recent change where 10 items have to be purchased of which one has to be branded to qualify.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote:From Thursday, Sainsburys Brand Match will only be comparing prices from Asda. This comes after a recent change where 10 items have to be purchased of which one has to be branded to qualify.
Yeah, clearly running the scheme down. JS are attempting a flat-line pricing model where there will be comparatively few promotional offers. Don't see it going well tbh.
Nick Harvey
God

nodnirG kraM wrote:You might want to swipe the card the other way up, love.
Like!
Pete

Do some stores still have those tills? I thought they'd all be updated to the new touch screen ones.

I rather miss the fab noise the big enter button on those tills made.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Critique

Fairly sure both the Extra and the Metro near me both still have tills with the clackity enter button, which is suprising considering they've gone to the effort of refurbishing areas of that particular store and have even built a special area for the scan and go self-service checkouts to live in.

Are Sainsbury's fitting coin slots onto the self-service machines which ordinarily have the dump tray? They recently installed some self-service checkouts in a Local here and they had the coin slots which the older machines have, but the plastic around the coin slot wobbled a bit when I pushed it, as if it wasn't always there and thus wasn't flush with everything else.
dosxuk

Critique wrote:Are Sainsbury's fitting coin slots onto the self-service machines which ordinarily have the dump tray? They recently installed some self-service checkouts in a Local here and they had the coin slots which the older machines have, but the plastic around the coin slot wobbled a bit when I pushed it, as if it wasn't always there and thus wasn't flush with everything else.
They're being modified, allegedly because the coin sorters couldn't keep up with people dumping a whole load of coins in, which would then cause them to jam up.
rdobbie

nodnirG kraM wrote:Yeah I've been trying to work out what their marketing is getting at with their "new pricing structures" and so forth. All sounded like a whole load of hot air really!!
I think what they're trying to do is explain to customers that they're abolishing those pie in the sky "pre-Half Price" prices, like a 4-pack of John West tuna that was "originally" £8.00 or a jar of Gold Blend that was "originally" £9.00. Their research has probably told them that customers know those prices are ridiculous and exist only to facilitate the Half Price offer.

So in effect they're saying "you can still have your Gold Blend for £4.50 when it's on special offer, but the special offer won't appear to be quite as special as it used to be". It's not exactly got the makings of a punchy ad campaign.
scottishtv

rdobbie wrote:It's not exactly got the makings of a punchy ad campaign.
Indeed, on my first watch it seemed like they were announcing price increases!

I think the phrase 'deal price' is what is confused me initially. I think if they said 'low prices even when items aren't on offer' it might be easier to understand. Either Justin King knew bad times were coming and jumped just ahead of them, or they are really screwing up badly and quickly.
bilky asko

rdobbie wrote:
nodnirG kraM wrote:Yeah I've been trying to work out what their marketing is getting at with their "new pricing structures" and so forth. All sounded like a whole load of hot air really!!
I think what they're trying to do is explain to customers that they're abolishing those pie in the sky "pre-Half Price" prices, like a 4-pack of John West tuna that was "originally" £8.00 or a jar of Gold Blend that was "originally" £9.00. Their research has probably told them that customers know those prices are ridiculous and exist only to facilitate the Half Price offer.

So in effect they're saying "you can still have your Gold Blend for £4.50 when it's on special offer, but the special offer won't appear to be quite as special as it used to be". It's not exactly got the makings of a punchy ad campaign.
It's not as if it's an original idea either - haven't Tesco done the same thing with some of their products (hence why 8-packs of Coca-Cola cans are £2.68 by default instead of £4.19 or some equally ridiculous price)?
Critique

bilky asko wrote:
rdobbie wrote:

It's not as if it's an original idea either - haven't Tesco done the same thing with some of their products (hence why 8-packs of Coca-Cola cans are £2.68 by default instead of £4.19 or some equally ridiculous price)?[/quoteP]

Was this as part of the price drops they did last year or the year before? If so it's probably the biggest price drop I've seen as I seem to remember at the time it was mostly 2p or 3p off most of the time, which might save money when it all adds up but separately is a bit poor.

As for Sainsbury's, I've certainly noticed the lower prices in the confectionary Isle! Galaxy Counters specifically used to be around £2.25, along with lots of other big bags of chocolates like Maltesers, and would then drop down to £1 when a deal was on, but they are now consistently priced around £1.65.