High Street chain collapse sweepstake

bilky asko

I'm not surprised the York Monks Cross branch is closing - it's probably the least popular store there; the nearby Vangarde centre opening has probably made things even worse for that branch.

By the way, this is the logo in use there:

Martin Phillp

Bromley and Croydon are on the list of stores which may close. Considering they have competition from M&S and Primark also Debenhams in Croydon, that's no surprise.

However I'm surprised Lewisham isn't on the list Stuck in a late 80s timewarp, has competition from Primark and M&S and I rarely see anyone buy anything when I've gone through the store.
TVF's London Lite.
james2001

My local store's on the list too, which hardly seems suprising. The feeling of the shop is best described as a junk store these days, everything's so ramshackle.
JAS84

Mine's not on the list. Regarding the signage correlation, it has the Bhs script on a black background, which is the logo immediately preceding the current one. So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the neglected stores were left looking dated because they weren't popular and are now set to close. Mine's been kept pretty up to date.
dosxuk

woah wrote:
dosxuk wrote:
woah wrote:What surprises me (at least from a local perspective) is that the Sheffield Meadowhall store is on the potential cut list
There's a BHS in Meadowhall? Where? :?
I can't tell if you're making a point that nobody notices it or goes there, or whether you genuinely didn't know there was one there :lol:

Just in case, it's next to H&M and New Look on the ground floor, along the route that leads to the entrances of Next and Primark.
No I was being genuine - but now you say that I remember. I always find myself power walking past that bit to avoid the overly friendly AA stall anyway. I honestly can't remember ever seeing a BHS logo though. On the rare occasion I think to look in BHS for something, I always go to the one in the City Centre.
scottishtv

james2001 wrote:The feeling of the shop is best described as a junk store these days, everything's so ramshackle.
I've not been in one for years, but after seeing this tweet, I see what you mean.
JAS84

Ha! Good luck selling that! Nobody's going to go looking for washing powder at British Home Stores! :lol:
Martin Phillp

I though the random selection of budget DVD's in BHS Surrey Quays was out of place until I saw the whole section dedicated to them alongside the washing powder.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

60 B&Qs to go now. Doesn't surprise me hugely; the smaller ones are empty almost constantly and the bigger ones are rarely anything like busy any more.

What sucks is this trend of companies announcing mass closures (without being specific) and *then* talking to staff. Disrespectful to say the least.
Pete

Dundee keeps being mentioned as a closure however the store in question actually closed last month and had been planned to close for about six months

Pete
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

The last time my local B&Q's car park was busy was when B&M opened next door and their car park was full up.