High Street chain collapse sweepstake

WillPS

AJ wrote:
JAS84 wrote:Depends how much P4U had already paid, I suppose. If they paid 40% of the arranged fee, then that's two years paid, and the name should remain for that time.
Is there any benefit to anybody in retaining the name of a collapsed firm though?
And the administrators might like to recover some of that investment if at all possible - even if it is a fraction of what they paid.
Alexia

AJ wrote:
JAS84 wrote:Depends how much P4U had already paid, I suppose. If they paid 40% of the arranged fee, then that's two years paid, and the name should remain for that time.
Is there any benefit to anybody in retaining the name of a collapsed firm though?
Depends how ingrained into the public mindset the name is. Does anyone actually call it the Phones4U Arena? Or is it still the MEN Arena? Down here we still call the Cardiff International Arena the CIA despite it being sponsored by Motorpoint for years. See also the Woolworth Building in New York and Wrigley Field in Chicago.
WillPS

I'm pretty sure the Woolworth Building is still called the Woolworth Building. But yeah, you're right, it's still the MEN Arena locally in the same way the [96] Trent/Capital FM arena in Nottingham is normally just the [National] Ice Centre/Arena.
thegeek

I wonder if the SSE Arena Wembley is going to catch on?
Nick Harvey
God

thegeek wrote:I wonder if the SSE Arena Wembley is going to catch on?
Interesting that they've retained the name "SWALEC" for Glamorgan cricket.
Alexia

Nick Harvey wrote:
thegeek wrote:I wonder if the SSE Arena Wembley is going to catch on?
Interesting that they've retained the name "SWALEC" for Glamorgam cricket.
Because SWALEC is still used as a brand here in South Wales.
WillPS wrote:I'm pretty sure the Woolworth Building is still called the Woolworth Building.
Yeah that was my point - it's still called the Woolworth Building despite F.W.Woolworth now being Foot Locker / Venator and not owning / having a presence in the building any more.

Another one: the Red Dragon Centre in Cardiff Bay is still called that (officially and colloquially) despite the Red Dragon Radio brand being defunct for 3 years; although it's also known (and indeed still signposted) by its original name Atlantic Wharf.
Pete

The Man Booker Prize
"He has to be larger than bacon"
thegeek

the Barclaycard Mercury Prize.

(should this be in a different thread?)
Whataday

AJ wrote:
And also what happens if another entity buys the brand?
Whataday

Alexia wrote:Another one: the Red Dragon Centre in Cardiff Bay is still called that (officially and colloquially) despite the Red Dragon Radio brand being defunct for 3 years; although it's also known (and indeed still signposted) by its original name Atlantic Wharf.
Well officially it's Red Dragon Centre - Home of 97.4/103.2 Capital FM :D

Actually I think Red Dragon Centre caught on very quickly, considering how well Atlantic Wharf rolled off the tongue.

I'm guessing the name stayed the same as there is already a Capitol Centre in the city centre (and a Capital Retail Park over the other side of the bay). Maybe now Heart is based there too they'll be tempted to rebrand it?
Alexia

Not nessa celery. The Heart Centre sounds like a cardiac research laboratory.