The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Pete

it's actually in addition to the standard mash that lives in the pie asile
"He has to be larger than bacon"
wells

Pete wrote:it's actually in addition to the standard mash that lives in the pie asile
We definitely had that mash, in the same container albeit with a different sleeve in our fruit and veg area a good while ago.
bilky asko

Pete wrote:he standard mash that lives in the pie asile
That spelling of aisle made me think of an asylum. I'll have a go at drawing a pie asylum and post it here.

EDIT: My freehand drawing skills aren't excellent:
scottishtv

What a co-incidence. I bought the Fresh & Easy mash today, and then pondered the thinking of putting it with produce, a standard mash also being in the ready meal section, as well as Finest mash also appearing in that section but a shelf down. Other supermarkets do similar but it does seem like a lot of effort.
Jovis

scottishtv wrote:What a co-incidence. I bought the Fresh & Easy mash today, and then pondered the thinking of putting it with produce, a standard mash also being in the ready meal section, as well as Finest mash also appearing in that section but a shelf down. Other supermarkets do similar but it does seem like a lot of effort.
They usually put things in various aisles because different customers assume it will be in those areas.
scottishtv

Actually, I also got a bit confused by the ranging in Finest Lasagne where there is a Finest Italian Beef Lasagne (plastic dish, 700G) and a Finest Italian Traditional Lasagne (foil dish, 800g). The latter is beef lasagne with 1% pork. It made me wonder what the point of both is? The only reason I bought one over the other was a much longer date on the second.

Washing up liquid was the same. Tesco Everyday Value versus Tesco Standard makes sense, but where does Daisy fit in? Left on the shelf by the looks of what I could see.

Anyway, there was also this on the bottom shelf - complete with very old-skool logo:
scottishtv

Jovis wrote:They usually put things in various aisles because different customers assume it will be in those areas.
Yeah, I understand this with Finest, but surely they could make one standard product and put it in with produce and down with pies? The two 'standard' mash products are different shape containers, packaging etc.

Like you say, maybe it's just different customer segments. The veg eaters who wouldn't dream of eating a ready meal maybe pick up the mash next to the carrots and brocolli.
bilky asko

scottishtv wrote:Actually, I also got a bit confused by the ranging in Finest Lasagne where there is a Finest Italian Beef Lasagne (plastic dish, 700G) and a Finest Italian Traditional Lasagne (foil dish, 800g). The latter is beef lasagne with 1% pork. It made me wonder what the point of both is? The only reason I bought one over the other was a much longer date on the second.
Was one part of a meal deal? Was one of them frozen?
scottishtv

bilky asko wrote:Was one part of a meal deal? Was one of them frozen?
Well, they were side-by-side in chilled, but now you say this, I do recall seeing the plastic container one again further down the aisle in a meal deal section, complete with shorter life date again. Must've been a store error to put them in both sections. Still, how confusing.
WillPS

The 'Discount Brands' at Tesco is an almighty cock up. I don't know if they're meant to be inferior or superior to the own-label and/or the Everyday Value ranges.

Amazing how many people purchase the green 4pts of Semi Skimmed though, given it is (I assume) exactly the same as the purple.
Pete

I think it was an attempt to deal with Aldi, however people are not stupid. They can tell that Aldi is cheap because it has no staffing costs and is hyper efficient in a pallet-truck-tastic manner and not because they use brands you've never head of.

They probably should just bite the bullet and get shot of the stuff. Things like Daisy never sell. Especially since they improved Value.
"He has to be larger than bacon"