Another High Street Rebrand

all new Phil

Does anyone else have bog all attachment to Woolworths and is therefore completely bemused by this feeble attempt at resurrecting a failed brand?

Or is it just me?
cdd

The other thing I don't get is this attachment to Pic n Mix (yeah, with that stupid misspelling). It doesn't look like anything you can't get anyhwere else, but people talk as though water itself had disappeared!
Square Eyes

I take it that the pick and mix market was fairly lucrative ? Notice that WHSmith have introduced it, and that M&S are to have a go.

LONDON - Marks & Spencer is to introduce Pick ‘n' Mix following the return of Woolworths as an online only brand earlier this week. The range of 18 sweets will launch in September and will include chocolate raisins, milk bottles, fruit salads and flying saucers.

Pick ‘n' Mix will initially be introduced into 100 M&S stores and follows a trial in April across six stores.

The sweets will be priced at £2.49 for a 200g cup and £3.49 for a 300g jar.
Malpass93

Speaking of Woolworths, the old unit in Scuneh is to become a Waremart.

Apparently that warranted the front-page spread of the Scunthorpe Telegraph on June 30th.

http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/news/ ... ticle.html
The New Malpass.
scottishtv

Square Eyes wrote:I take it that the pick and mix market was fairly lucrative ? Notice that WHSmith have introduced it, and that M&S are to have a go.
Vue cinemas do it, but the hygiene issues and prices are enough to put me off. I don't really want to pay that much for food that's most likely been sneezed on and touched by most of the 4-8 year olds scampering through the complex, especially having recently seen a young 'un with a fistful of jelly snakes being told by his mum to "put them back, you're not having those..." Euch.

Oh, and had the misfortune of being in an Asda last week and saw most of theirs was all over the floor - providing an all-terrain adventure for anyone with a trolley.
Gavin Scott
Admin

scottishtv wrote:
Square Eyes wrote:I take it that the pick and mix market was fairly lucrative ? Notice that WHSmith have introduced it, and that M&S are to have a go.
Vue cinemas do it, but the hygiene issues and prices are enough to put me off. I don't really want to pay that much for food that's most likely been sneezed on and touched by most of the 4-8 year olds scampering through the complex, especially having recently seen a young 'un with a fistful of jelly snakes being told by his mum to "put them back, you're not having those..." Euch.

Oh, and had the misfortune of being in an Asda last week and saw most of theirs was all over the floor - providing an all-terrain adventure for anyone with a trolley.
Every time I go to the Vue Omni centre cinema I tell myself I won't buy their overpriced snacks - and every time I end up with a hot dog and giant diet coke (that makes me have to pop to the loo every 30 minutes).

£6.95 for the ticket and £8 odd for the food.

Ludicrous.
scottishtv

Gavin Scott wrote:£6.95 for the ticket.
...or 1,000 nectar points.
Ebeneezer Scrooge

...But don't let them take nectar points for your over-priced food. Then it will be even more overpriced!
Snarky
tillyoshea

scottishtv wrote:
Newcastle was one of the trial stores, and they've addressed the whole yuckiness issue in their pick and mix by loading the sweets into fancy dispensers, instead of having scoops and boxes... Not unlike the virtual pick and mix on the Woolies website, actually.

Looks much more hygienic, but never seems to work properly.
cdd

I help myself to a large bag of milk bottles at the Pick & Mix at my local sainsbury's frequently. I've never SEEN anything untoward but there is frequently a small quantity of water in each of the sweet dispensers. I have been trying not to give too much thought as to what that water is.

I think i shall be won over by the M&S posh sort though.
Rob Del Monte

Gavin Scott wrote:
scottishtv wrote:

Every time I go to the Vue Omni centre cinema I tell myself I won't buy their overpriced snacks - and every time I end up with a hot dog and giant diet coke (that makes me have to pop to the loo every 30 minutes).

£6.95 for the ticket and £8 odd for the food.

Ludicrous.
As far as I remember, I've been informed by someone I ended up chatting with, who says that their Dad worked/works for one of the governmental trade regulators, that cinemas cannot chuck you out for eating other companies' food in the theatre—except if it is loud/inteferes with others (e.g.: a packet of crisps [crunch, crunch]). What is the truth in this? Personally, I still occasionally get my popcorn from the pound shop, but still carry it in a bag, hoping that it conceals the popcorn. However, I haven't been to the cinema for a while now (back from at least since I stopped watching television over Christmas).

Back on topic: I've noticed that ASDA's George logo has changed. Serif typeface, if I remember correctly.

Sainsbury's in Bath has the new logo in a façade of an extended second set of entrance doors, and the old logo directly behind it on the old pre-extentension façade inside.

Also, I've seen 'Marks and Spencer' set in two typefaces. The newer typeface isn't Helvetica.
B.T.W., talking about Helvetica, M&S and the Co-op (which only re-branded a couple of years ago) look very similar to me, both using Helvetica, both using green, both* using verbose (what I'm coining 'mock-partial'—i.e. seemingly impartial, but bigging-up the sellable words e.g. 'organic', 'fairtrade'—descriptions of own-brand goods as their names (e.g.: [I'm making this up, there isn't necessarily such a co-op product]) "The Co-operative Fairtrade, organic dried fruit salad with prunes, apricots pears and apple rings").

*actually, on second thoughts, do M&S do this verbose-product-naming-practice on their products?

A bit out of date, but what do metropolers make of the standardisation of the various Co-operative movement's ventures' logos (though I suppose the Co-op isn't High Street)?
Rob Del Monte
Why do people say “Quad bike” and “Double prime”—it is like saying a “three-sided square”, oh wait they do, “Tri-square”?!