The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Martin Phillp

Tesco has sold Euphorium Bakeries. High street shops will be transferred to Soho Coffee while in-store bakeries will go in-house with employees offered to move to Tesco.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37193914
TVF's London Lite.
Philip

I see from the new adverts running on TV, that Tesco now have their own version of Waitrose's scan-while-you-shop system. I'm interested to see what the uptake and potential issues of the system will be
bilky asko

Philip wrote:I see from the new adverts running on TV, that Tesco now have their own version of Waitrose's scan-while-you-shop system. I'm interested to see what the uptake and potential issues of the system will be
What, Scan & Go? They've had it for a while in some stores. Or am I misunderstanding?
Critique

Yes, Scan and Go is not a new thing for Tesco, although the TV adverts certainly show they're giving it more of a push than before. In the Extra closest to me they've had it for a fair few years now, with a load of handsets on a faux-wood shelf-style thing on wood effect floor. There's also a dedicated bank of self-service checkouts for use with the handheld machines.
bilky asko

Critique wrote:Yes, Scan and Go is not a new thing for Tesco, although the TV adverts certainly show they're giving it more of a push than before. In the Extra closest to me they've had it for a fair few years now, with a load of handsets on a faux-wood shelf-style thing on wood effect floor. There's also a dedicated bank of self-service checkouts for use with the handheld machines.
It's worked well every time I've used it. Linking it to Clubcard makes the first time using it trivially easy, and I believe the handsets are the same as the ones I've used at Waitrose.
james2001

I can remember Safeway pushing their scan and go in TV ads 20 years ago! Funny how others are only now catching up (and seeing how far ahead of other supermarkets they were, how Safeway were pushed behind everyone else when Morrisons took over...).
Philip

bilky asko wrote:
Philip wrote:I see from the new adverts running on TV, that Tesco now have their own version of Waitrose's scan-while-you-shop system. I'm interested to see what the uptake and potential issues of the system will be
What, Scan & Go? They've had it for a while in some stores. Or am I misunderstanding?
Certainly not seen in any store I've visited, or advertised or mentioned anywhere before. It's officially called 'Scan As You Shop'. Waitrose have had it for several years.
Finn

They've had it at my local Extra for at least a year now.

Use it all the time. It was busy enough this morning, that I actually had to queue to use the bank of four tills dedicated to it (unheard of!)
bilky asko

Philip wrote:
bilky asko wrote:
Certainly not seen in any store I've visited, or advertised or mentioned anywhere before. It's officially called 'Scan As You Shop'. Waitrose have had it for several years.
Yes, that's the one I've used a few times. I've only seen it at Extra stores (one in York, one in Hull), and they only came to the Hull store after I left, so has probably been there for a couple of years.
Martin Phillp

My local Extra in London doesn't have them.
TVF's London Lite.
B.E. El-Zebub

Re the Tesco SELs - I find the mix of font sizes (with prices under a pound appearing larger) makes things look messy.
Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn o lyswennod