The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

james2001

I'm sorry to hear that.
robschneider

Nah, used to love walking on the fields behind Tesco. She walked up there every day to do her shopping until only a few months before her passing aged 92.
cwathen

A new thing for me this week - a McDonald's concession inside an Asda at Bedminster. Never seen that before in my life, looks like they just removed the counter and back section of the old Asda cafe and replaced that with a Maccies, but the seating area itself still looks original.

Googling it though, it seems to be relatively common, although it seems a bit of an odd move, with opening hours greatly restricted compared to a standalone unit.
Pear

cwathen wrote:A new thing for me this week - a McDonald's concession inside an Asda at Bedminster. Never seen that before in my life, looks like they just removed the counter and back section of the old Asda cafe and replaced that with a Maccies, but the seating area itself still looks original.

Googling it though, it seems to be relatively common, although it seems a bit of an odd move, with opening hours greatly restricted compared to a standalone unit.
I've seen a few of them before, they often seem to be tiny and as a result don't offer the full menu due to size constraints. Oddly the McDonald's in an Asda nearby to me is located pretty much just across the road, and about a 2/3 minute walk, to a full sized drive-thru McDonald's. I always thought the franchise agreement wouldn't have allowed two McDonald's to be placed so close to each other. It is also the only McDonald's I've ever seen to have a self-serve drinks machine.
Philip

Surprised you've only just come across one! I went on holiday to Florida ten years ago (to this very week) and the local WAL-MART superstore - and they do mean superstore - had a big McDonalds inside.

A few years later, the Asda in Aintree introduced a McDonalds that I believe replaced the old café - although I never got to see it myself as I rarely if ever visit Asda. It only lasted a short time, a few years maybe. Well, it's no longer on the external signage anyway.
Alexia

There's one in Duffryn Asda in Newport, which is good because there is NOTHING else around Duffryn - it's a borderline sink estate boundaried by a couple of well-to-do new build projects and the DMZ between Newport and Cardiff.
Pete

There's one of these in Aberdeen and another in Edinburgh, both at former Wal-Mart supercentres.

As mentioned the counter is always comically small and the drinks are self serve.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Pear

On another note I see that Tesco have adopted new shelf edge labels. I noticed a rogue one today amongst the old style SELs and simply thought someone didn't bother to use the right template, though this tweet proves me wrong.

https://twitter.com/Storeview/status/766291162172907520
Critique

Indeed, saw that in an Express the other day and was a bit confused at first - unlike when a Sainsbury's Local near me changed SEL style and they changed them all in one clean swoop, half the labels in Tesco were still in the old style. I think they look fairly nice.
bilky asko

Tesco only seem to change SELs when a price changes usually (I'm sure there are still ones about with the red and blue border, and the special ones for product recalls etc. are all in an even older style), though all the Meal Deal ones were the first ones to be replaced at my local Tesco along with a small selection dotted around the store.

As Steve Dresser points out, though, the description text is harder to read than before:

https://twitter.com/dresserman/status/7 ... 8119183360
jonathan

I took part in a survey on Tesco SELs a while back and was wondering when these would roll out. You can see some of the other designs they were considering here. I remember at the time thinking the descriptor text was pretty illegible on some of them.