The great beverage debate.

Spencer For Hire

1) Do you prefer coffee or tea?

Like them both, but prefer tea. I could quite happily live without coffee, but rarely go a day without at least one cup of tea.

Has to be decent tea too, preferably Yorkshire Tea... and there are very few other people I trust to make it for me. I'm always astounded at how bad some people are at making a simple brew. Anyone who puts milk in with the teabag before pouring on the water deserves to be sent to the chair.

2) Is it rude to order a cup of tea in a coffee shop?

Wouldn't have considered it rude. I could see some might consider it a bit odd, but I doubt anyone would ever take offence.

Apparently I made a bit of a faux pas when in Italy recently though, by asking for a cappucino after my lunch. It's very much a breakfast drink over there, and asking for it at any other time of day is viewed in a similar way as we would view someone asking for a bowl of Frosties with an evening meal.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Spencer For Hire wrote:Apparently I made a bit of a faux pas when in Italy recently though, by asking for a cappucino after my lunch. It's very much a breakfast drink over there, and asking for it at any other time of day is viewed in a similar way as we would view someone asking for a bowl of Frosties with an evening meal.
Now you see that's the kind of thing that grinds my gears. [/Peter Griffen]

The idea that a waiter or sales assistant gets sniffy because a customer asks for something they wouldn't choose for themselves is ridiculous, don't you think?

That's where my all purpose kick-them-squaar-in-the-noots comes in.
Chie

1) Do you prefer coffee or tea? I gave them both up almost a year ago, along with alcohol and fags.

2) Is it rude to order a cup of tea in a coffee shop? If tea is on the menu then no.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Chie wrote:1) Do you prefer coffee or tea? I gave them both up almost a year ago, along with alcohol and fags.
I don't know, but I think you would benefit from a small libation.
Pete

I was told It's odd to order a Cappuccino in Italy after 11am. It is also near impossible to find a cup of tea in Italy. Venice in particular where I searched for four days for a cup of tea before finally finding a little hidden shop.

Thankfully in Bologna the local supermarket had an English section with Twinnings English Breakfast and McVities Digestives. I felt quite the Hannah Hauxwell.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
cdd

Hum. Until a few weeks ago I used to drink lots of tea.

Recently though I haven't drunk a single cup instead working my way through cans of diet coke.

Go figure!
Gavin Scott
Admin

cdd wrote:Hum. Until a few weeks ago I used to drink lots of tea.

Recently though I haven't drunk a single cup instead working my way through cans of diet coke.

Go figure!
"Look at my figure", surely?
Spencer For Hire

Gavin Scott wrote:Now you see that's the kind of thing that grinds my gears. [/Peter Griffen]

The idea that a waiter or sales assistant gets sniffy because a customer asks for something they wouldn't choose for themselves is ridiculous, don't you think?

That's where my all purpose kick-them-squaar-in-the-noots comes in.
To be fair, it was only my other half who took the piss when I ordered a cappucino after lunch. The waiter was fine about it. :)
Hymagumba wrote:I was told It's odd to order a Cappuccino in Italy after 11am. It is also near impossible to find a cup of tea in Italy. Venice in particular where I searched for four days for a cup of tea before finally finding a little hidden shop.

Thankfully in Bologna the local supermarket had an English section with Twinnings English Breakfast and McVities Digestives. I felt quite the Hannah Hauxwell.
I hope you drew the water yourself from a local well, after breaking the ice on it.

I tend not to bother with tea abroad full stop. I've even taken my own teabags with me, and it still just never tastes quite the same. I'm not sure if it's the local water, milk, or the lack of drizzle outside the window which makes something not quite right about it.

Plus, no cup of tea ever tastes better than the first one you have when you get home after a week or two of being deprived of it abroad.
DVB Cornwall

Coffee for me, Starbucks Latte with a double shot, the second being free with their EMoney card, as for tea in coffee shops, GFI, if they don't want to sell it leave it off the menu.

Incidentally Starbucks Porridge with dried fruits is delicious on a cold morning.
Chie

Starbucks, the shop that gives you a 10p discount for bringing your own mug. They've got some cheek.

(I'd roll my eyes, but someone's kidnapped the rolling eyes smiley, so I can't.)
Gavin Scott
Admin

Chie wrote:Starbucks, the shop that gives you a 10p discount for bringing your own mug. They've got some cheek.

(I'd roll my eyes, but someone's kidnapped the rolling eyes smiley, so I can't.)
My dear friend Rolly is in a treatment centre now, as you've worn him out.

Can't say I didn't warn you.