Why there is no such thing as a 24 Hour Tesco Store

Gavin Scott
Admin

nidave wrote:
Gavin Scott wrote: That's why I'm considering a bar job in the evenings to boost my income. I can do overtime here, but would be taxed - or I could do a couple of hours in a pub and stay below the threshold for tax as its a separate employer.

Trebles all round.
That would not work, as you would have to declare the 2nd job on a P46 which would place you on a BR tax code - this is a flat 20% deduction without any freepay (ie fee of tax earnings)
Oh well I'll be sure to declare it then.

*tum tee tum*
nidave

Gavin Scott wrote:
nidave wrote:
Gavin Scott wrote: That's why I'm considering a bar job in the evenings to boost my income. I can do overtime here, but would be taxed - or I could do a couple of hours in a pub and stay below the threshold for tax as its a separate employer.

Trebles all round.
That would not work, as you would have to declare the 2nd job on a P46 which would place you on a BR tax code - this is a flat 20% deduction without any freepay (ie fee of tax earnings)
Oh well I'll be sure to declare it then.

*tum tee tum*
LOL - even if you don't the HMRC will send you a bill. The 2ne employer will submit a P14 at the end of the tax year and this will be applied to your tax / ni record for the year then they will tally all your income from all the jobs and calculate any tax due.
barcode

where is the threshold as to where you need to pay more tax? even if you did two jobs, I can see anyone getting more than £39'999 a year form both
Gavin Scott
Admin

barcode wrote:where is the threshold as to where you need to pay more tax? even if you did two jobs, I can see anyone getting more than £39'999 a year form both
I wasn't actually referring to me moving into the higher tax band, although the corresponding salary would be sweeeet.

Back in the days of retail, we used to take on people to work just a few hours a week, and (at that time anyway), we weren't required to tax them/record them based on these small amounts.

But I'll take some advice and keep myself right.
Nick Harvey
God

Yes, you can put people down as "casual", but the casual total can only make up a maximum of a certain percentage of your total payroll.

Not sure what that percentage currently is, though.
WillPS

I loved working at The Entertainer, it was owned by some manic Christian who believed he and all his staff would go to hell if he opened on Sunday. What a div. But it did make things a lot better for staff, especially at this time of year when other similar shops expect 7 day weeks from their staff. It also meant I got Christmas Eve off in 2006.

I now work for Sainsbury's Local, which (as far as I know) only operates stores of under 3000 sq.ft., thereby circumnavigating Sunday Trading laws (my shop is somewhere around 2995sq.ft.). I've managed to wrangle weekends off, and I'm in the fairly rare position (for retail) of being welcome (and in fact being encouraged) to take a long break at Christmas.
barcode

Turns out that "The Banking and Financial Dealings" Act of 1971 established "Boxing Day" as a public holiday in Scotland.
DVB Cornwall

Interesting aside to the Sunday Trading aspects of this thread. Sir Patrick Cormack introduced a Bill into the HoC today ....

That leave be given to bring in a Bill to provide for the extension of Christmas Day restrictions on the opening of retail premises to Remembrance Sunday

It will of course, run out of time due to the imminent election.
nwtv2003

Tesco related... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nott ... 595628.stm

Having read the article have Tesco done this where you are? There was a pub at the other end of Warrington that had closed, it got partially demolished and the rest got converted into a Tesco Express, which is in a residential area with alot of Traffic daily. Good to see it's not just happening in one location, now I don't hold any objections to Tesco expanding and creating jobs etc etc, but I don't really agree with them converting old Pubs into stores so they can open a new shop with no planning consent, especially in communities where many Pub's have shut their doors.
steve
Critique

Tesco turned part of Hubbard House into an express, which is home to an Anglia News studio in Ipswich.
Chie

Tesco were given permission to knock down this beautiful local government building near Nottingham, along with the job centre, a pet shop and several houses to build yet another Tesco Extra - of which there are already two within a 2.5 mile radius of the town.