The 'I just don't get it' thread

Sput

F1.

I mean, how did they manage to take an incredibly dangerous and fast sport and make it boring?
Knight knight
Alexia

F2.

Apart from launching the BIOS, what else does it do?
wells

Chie wrote: Also it seems as though the owners of Twitter are keeping it alive with investment and debt. How will it ever make any money?? One day they're going to flog Twitter to someone who thinks they *can* monetize it for billions of pounds and any profit they make from the sale will all be thanks to Stephen Fry and the BBC's free publicity. lol. :roll:
But the point is the BBC and it's personalties isn't publicising Twitter because they like Twitter, or have a deal with the bosses, they doing it as it's an effective way to publicising their own product.

I think Twitter is very much about celebs, critics and people of note communicating with the wider public rather than the wider public communicating with the wider public.

How it will make money I've no idea, but it has a purpose. Although I guess it's a flash in the pan.
Chie

wells wrote:But the point is the BBC and it's personalties isn't publicising Twitter because they like Twitter, or have a deal with the bosses, they doing it as it's an effective way to publicising their own product.
Their reason for publicising Twitter is irrelevant.

The point is the more users Twitter has, the more that companies will be willing to pay to buy it. Free publicity = more users = more money, except the BBC and the license fee payer will never see any of it, despite helping to build the service up.

Hope that makes sense.
Sput

I'd say their reason for using twitter is incredibly relevant: it's by far the most transparent way to engage with your users. None of this moronic claiming of censorship like on the message boards, no ability to waffle like e-mail and available for all to see, instantly. Frankly, it's a brilliant way for a big entity to engage with a massive audience with a low barrier for participation.

You know, I heard this e-mail lark is just a money spinner for the likes of Google, microsoft and the ISPs. Maybe the BBC shouldn't be using that either.
Knight knight
Beep

Life
What is life for really? Apart from to reproduce, why do we need to live? What is the primary purpose of the human race. I can't think of any. We are conceived, live a bit, make more young (not all people) and die. I mean, what is the point? Are we here to destroy earth? or is there some other reason that I have totally missed. Is this something we don't actually know the answer to? Which leads me onto another thing, time. What is it? Is it a unit of measurement used for sequencing events or is it an actual thing? How long have we got, how long until the world ends? Why are we measuring a sequence of events, there is no real purpose, then again, there is no purpose to anything else that we use if life serves no purpose. I mean, what is up with that?
timgraham

Aargh, way to go all existential and give me a headache.
Chie

Beep wrote:Life
What is life for really?
To love and be loved.
Beep wrote:Which leads me onto another thing, time. What is it? Is it a unit of measurement used for sequencing events or is it an actual thing? How long have we got, how long until the world ends? Why are we measuring a sequence of events, there is no real purpose, then again, there is no purpose to anything else that we use if life serves no purpose. I mean, what is up with that?
Things like this really aren't worth worrying about, Beep. Just get on with it.
rts

Blimey Beep, getting deep!
Netizen

Alexia wrote:F2.

Rename files in Explorer.
cdd

Alexia wrote:F2.

Fill the space betwteen F1 and F3. Without it, you'd have an ugly hole in your keyboard.