The 'I just don't get it' thread

Dr Lobster*

there are many things in life that whilst i do not partake in them personally, i can see why certain persons may find them enjoyable, but there are one or two activities that for all the searching i cannot come up with a reason why anybody could find such activities enjoyable:

watching football or any other sport

i cannot understand the concept of 'supporting' a sports team. i can understand perfectly why people would like to play any sport, but i can't understand why you'd sit in the wings, supporting something you have no underlying emotional attachment to.

it seems perplexing to see grown men get emotional over the result of a football game, where they do not know any of the players personally or have any financial investment in the outcome of the game.

britain's got talent etc

i have never understood why so many people on a saturday night sit down and watch a bunch of acne ridden croaky voiced self deluded teenage dipshits scream and shout in a so-called talent competition. the only outcome of this entire process which seems to go on for half a year is a highly processed cd full of cover versions. i mean why? they all sound the same. i really am lost for words that so many people seem to get wound up over it, seems like such a waste of energy to me, every saturday night my facebook feed is full of people ranting about how 'unfair' the result was or something. i think they've somehow missed the point.

anyway, what's your beef?
Sput

cars
I get that they're useful but I will never understand why so many people care about them as much as they do. The only explanation I can muster is that they have incredibly small winkle-wonkles. I understand that you'd like a nice car that's comfortable and shiny, but getting one that can go really fast when you're not actually allowed to seems daft.
Knight knight
Netizen

Farmville

Now naturally, I understand why people get so engrossed in online social gaming, particularly with richly detailed simulations or MMORPGs. But Farmville et al are so crushingly shallow and dull, I can't understand why people willingly sink hours of their spare time into it. It's not as if it counts towards gamerscore or anything!
fusionlad

Boom Boom Pow

I just don't get this song at all. I can't stand it and I don't know why, but all my friends seem to like it.

I don't mind the Black Eyed Peas at all, but just don't get that song.
Chie

Twitter

In my view it's a bit like sending a mass text message to all the contacts in your phonebook - most of whom couldn't care less about what you've got to say.

Also it seems as though the owners of Twitter are keeping it alive with investment and debt. How will it ever make any money?? One day they're going to flog Twitter to someone who thinks they *can* monetize it for billions of pounds and any profit they make from the sale will all be thanks to Stephen Fry and the BBC's free publicity. lol. :roll:

(I know ITV are getting worse for it too by the way. naugty ITV.)
Sput

people who think the BBC is at the heart of some conspiracy

that is all
Knight knight
lukey

hollyoaks
It's not bad enough to enjoy in a Bold and the Beautiful omnibus fashion, but it's also so painfully ungood I can't imagine why anyone would invest any time trying to follow it.
rob

Miley Cyrus

She's only famous because of her dad. Oh, and she's an android.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
Sput

I think being an android is reason enough to be famous
Knight knight
Alexia

rugby league / Barry Hearn and the sexing up of sport

Ok so I'll watch it, I've even attended a match or two in my time, but it's like some dude came along, saw rugby union, and took the most skilful and exciting bits and ripped them out, for the benefit of the viewing audience. Take away rucks, mauls, scrums and lineouts and all you're left with is a running and kicking game which is akin to Red Rover / British Bulldogs on a grand scale... with balls. The annoying thing is it didn't stop me watching all of Wales' European cup triumph these last few weeks.

Taking this on board, I don't like what Barry Hearn does to sport. I've read Clive Everton's autobiography, and while it seems that his touch helped popularise snooker in the 1980s, his effect on darts has been catastrophic. The PDC is no more than an elitist group of players seeking more money for their art at the expense of the grassroots and public. The thing is, the level of competition in the PDC - with Phil Taylor winning practically everything all the time - is so poor that I now call it Phil's Darts Club. The BDO is and always will be for me the true power in darts. Barry Hearn's one sanctioned snooker event, the Premier League, is again sexed up and viewer-friendly, at the expense of the sport. Best of 6s leave the opportunity for a draw, which cheats the supporter of a winner - and as both players earn £1000 a frame, there's little incentive to push for a win - when you're a top-16 ranked professional sportsman, the difference between £6000 and £3000 is negligible. I don't understand the need to "improve" a sport to its detriment just to attract a few more viewers. To understand how ridiculous it is, imagine if football goals were made wider and higher to "improve" goal counts...
iSon

Metropol

Sorry, I'm just here ironically. None of you make any sense to me.
Good Lord!