Old Supermarkets(/buildings)

jay

The Tesco Superstore in High Wycombe is also stuck in time, unfortunately due to the local council who refuse Tesco planning permission to do anything with it!

They submitted plans a few years ago to knock the monstrosity down and rebuild a state-of-the-art store, but it got refused.

Since this, a new, modern shopping centre (called Eden) has been built around it, and a brand new Sainsbury's store has opened across the road.

I blame the local councils, Tesco WANT to upgrade their stores!
Twitter: @jasonbetts
rts

I was at that Tesco just this weekend. Impressed with the new Eden Centre. High Wycombe needed it.
stu

Two old fashioned Tesco anecdotes follow..

Probably long gone now, the oddly shaped Tesco in Walsall had this ace nearly flat escalator for getting trolleys up to the next level which amused me loads back in the day.

In a similar vein, I remember the Tesco in West Bromwich during a computers for schools campaign back in the mid 90's, digging out a BBC Micro and proudly putting it on display by the checkouts, as if to say collect the vouchers so they can ditch these classic machines!
WillPS

Sainsbury's in Attleborough wore the J SAINSBURY logo above their door until last year. I remember the shop actually opened just after they announced the rebrand, so staff had the new uniform but the shop was in the old style. Does anyone remember how during this period Sainsbury's used two logos simultaneously; the orange uppercase 'J SAINSBURY'/'SAINSBURY'S' and the blue serif font 'Sainsbury's', used on advertising and plastic bags? I always wondered why this was, presumably the big old logo seemed dated, but then didn't they just rebrand the whole ship sooner!?