Another High Street Rebrand

Jovis

That's actually a nice logo.
lukey

Yes, it seems like a rather ideal update of what is not exactly in itself a design legend: nasty font over various orange shapes.
LaSeandre

When I was in Kilmarnock today (don't ask), I saw a Haddows, but instead of the usual white on purple, it had the red, yellow and black "The Local" branding, with the name modified to "Haddows Local".
Chie

Ikea have changed their global corporate typeface from Futura to Verdana.

Verdana is a bland, common, inexpressive font which is completely devoid of style and meaning - it represents Ikea furniture perfectly. Whoever came up with the idea of using Verdana is an absolute genius.

http://www.idsgn.org/posts/ikea-says-goodbye-to-futura/
timgraham

My friend was quoted in Time magazine for abusing that decision on twitter.

It certainly takes away a lot of their sense of Swedish simplicity and what I guess you'd call elegance.
steddenm

I noticed today in Carlisle that First ScotRail have once again changed their branding...

From (straight after Privatisation):
To (when First took over):
Then to (when the sleeper was relaunched):
And now 'Scotland's Railway':
Chie

timgraham wrote:My friend was quoted in Time magazine for abusing that decision on twitter.

It certainly takes away a lot of their sense of Swedish simplicity and what I guess you'd call elegance.
I'd call the furniture cold, characterless and primitive, myself. Just like Verdana. They go perfectly.
nwtv2003

Going slightly OT, but I'm going back to Woolworths here, in Warrington they've recently started fitting out the old store again, apparently it's going to be called 'AsCo' with the slogan of 'A real alternative', don't know whether it's just Warrington or if they're going to open a few of them, not a bad idea mind, as there's as a lack of decent food shops that are cheap within the town centre area. Everywhere else I've been to locally that used to have a Woolies still remain derrilict.
steve
Alexia

nwtv2003 wrote:Going slightly OT, but I'm going back to Woolworths here, in Warrington they've recently started fitting out the old store again, apparently it's going to be called 'AsCo' with the slogan of 'A real alternative', don't know whether it's just Warrington or if they're going to open a few of them, not a bad idea mind, as there's as a lack of decent food shops that are cheap within the town centre area. Everywhere else I've been to locally that used to have a Woolies still remain derrilict.
Apparently there's one down here at the new Cardiff City stadium site.

I'll give you two guesses where they got their name from... A S _ _ / _ _ _ C O

And also apparently they sell knock-down priced same-line M&S products. Or so the missus says.
timgraham

Chie wrote: I'd call the furniture cold, characterless and primitive, myself. Just like Verdana. They go perfectly.
Not really, but tastes differ I guess. They make modern, reasonably good quality, affordable furniture for the masses.. and it's not the end of the world if it ends up being damaged somehow.
Aidy

Looks like Wyevale Garden Centres realised they were alienating their frail old customers..

Going from the above umbrella to..

They have returned all but 10 of their 122 centres to the names they were before Wyevale took them over, removing Wyevale branding.

That's great, except where I am where they've taken on some kinda of Tesco 'Discount Brands' method and created a name out of nowhere: 'Swindon Garden Centre' ..hold on a sec, I may have only been 8 when it took on the Wyevale name, but I certainly always remember it as Kennedys :P Doesn't quite add up to the 'names they were before' :?