Another High Street Rebrand

scottishtv

In fact £stretcher are showing all Woolworths' old show material!
On a vaguely related note, I came across a single 60W bayonet fitting lightbulb in my local Sainsbury's last week - in Woolworths packaging. It was on the lightbulb shelf all on it's own, and didn't even look like was made by the same people who made the others on sale there. You'd have thought the shelf filler would at least have noticed if they were putting out wrongly packaged stock. Puzzling.
Gavin Scott
Admin

scottishtv wrote:
On a vaguely related note, I came across a single 60W bayonet fitting lightbulb in my local Sainsbury's last week - in Woolworths packaging. It was on the lightbulb shelf all on it's own, and didn't even look like was made by the same people who made the others on sale there. You'd have thought the shelf filler would at least have noticed if they were putting out wrongly packaged stock. Puzzling.
Meadowbank?
Jovis

scottishtv wrote:You'd have thought the shelf filler would at least have noticed if they were putting out wrongly packaged stock. Puzzling.
Why do you think they didn't notice? :?
Philip Cobbold

scottishtv wrote:
Or more likely a customer brought a broken Woolworths bulb into Sainsbury's with them to check they were buying the right new bulb and then left the dud one on the shelf.
Alexia

nwtv2003 wrote: Anyone know when Somerfield's due to disappear into the whole Co-Op branding?
My local Co-Op Food in Rogerstone replaced a Cost-Cutter. Up the road in High Cross there is a Somerfield / Texaco hybrid which has only recently opened. There are talks of having a Tesco Metro thingy in the village too.
scottishtv

Philip Cobbold wrote:Or more likely a customer brought a broken Woolworths bulb into Sainsbury's with them to check they were buying the right new bulb and then left the dud one on the shelf.
Ah. A well thought out theory - I think you're probably right. Thinking back to my childhood, my mum used to take the bulb with her to the shops a lot - although she didn't leave the old ones behind.

And it wasn't actually my local Sainsbury's (Murrayfield) but my old favourite, Cameron Toll.
Ant

scottishtv wrote:
Philip Cobbold wrote:Or more likely a customer brought a broken Woolworths bulb into Sainsbury's with them to check they were buying the right new bulb and then left the dud one on the shelf.
Ah. A well thought out theory - I think you're probably right. Thinking back to my childhood, my mum used to take the bulb with her to the shops a lot - although she didn't leave the old ones behind.

And it wasn't actually my local Sainsbury's (Murrayfield) but my old favourite, Cameron Toll.
Wasn't the Cameron Toll Sainsbury's a 'Savacentre' at one point? I'm guessing that branding has since disappeared - not seen it in a good few years.

On another subject, I notice a new HMV store in Edinburgh has the lowercase logo. First time I've seen it on a store front.
scottishtv

Ant wrote:Wasn't the Cameron Toll Sainsbury's a 'Savacentre' at one point? I'm guessing that branding has since disappeared - not seen it in a good few years.

On another subject, I notice a new HMV store in Edinburgh has the lowercase logo. First time I've seen it on a store front.
Indeed it was, but that was before I lived in the city. However on my Nectar statement it still comes up as 'Savacentre' in the transactions section. Lots about Savacentre on Wikipedia

As for the HMV lowercase logo, it also appears on the "Picture House" signage on Lothian Road (the old club Revolution). The HMV part of the logo appears vertically, and looks like it was added on after they decided to sponsor the place. Street View still has the venue as Gig, and the website doesn't have the HMV part on its images.
marksi

Philip Cobbold wrote:
scottishtv wrote:
Or more likely a customer brought a broken Woolworths bulb into Sainsbury's with them to check they were buying the right new bulb and then left the dud one on the shelf.
Do people keep the boxes that lightbulbs come in until they need a new one, before repackaging the old bulb back into the packaging and taking it to the shops with them? Sounds unlikely to me.

More just that a supplier's old Woolworths stock needs to go somewhere.
Pete

I tend to put the old broken bulb in the new box before throwing it out
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Malpass93

The new Nottingham HMV (the one that replaced Zaavi) bears the new lower-case logo, at the front. The other, older one doesn't.
The New Malpass.