Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications

Gavin Scott
Admin

Why has this little "update" arrived on my licensed XP Home - which I validated both when I got it and after a motherboard replacement?

A couple of times I've clicked cancel to its setup, but I'm curious what the consequences will be if I continue to ignore it.

This is what their website says

Why use WGA Notifications?

Software piracy is a worldwide problem that affects Microsoft, consumers, partners, and the broad industry. Unlike a pirated or counterfeit copy, a genuine copy of Windows XP is backed by Microsoft or a trusted partner, and comes with the features and performance you'd expect. Recent research shows that acquiring and using counterfeit software can be risky. Installing the latest WGA Notifications can keep your system up to date and alert you to the presence of counterfeit.

"Can keep your system up to date"? As opposed to what?

As I say, I could just go ahead and install it - but am I really being given a choice?
nidave

You can ignore it but you will not be able to download certain things from the MS website.
You don't really have a choice if you need the file or app. Its just marketing spin.
cdd

Also there have been quite a few cases reported on the internet of Genuine Advantage failing to validate legitimate copies of Windows. It's built into Vista I believe.
Beep

I heard it 'phones home' so to speak and tells MS about your system.
Sput

I think it asks MS if the license key is valid and checks system files to see if they've been messed with to crack the activation code. It's rather evil: if you do install it and you're legal it'll leave you alone 99% of the time but if you don't install it and you're evil it will keep badgering you.

Mrtoms put it best: "Oh Windows Genuine Advantage. You're the mustachioed guy who peeps in my window and says he's only making sure nobody steals the fireplace."
Knight knight
Chris

There's no need to install this, whether you have a legit copy or not. It's just another piece of useless software to clog up the system, simply ignore and delete.

You will be able to download all important security patches, however.
Pete

but doesn't WGA put itself in the way of security patches, demanding it be installed before you can see the rest of them?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Chris

Not as far as I'm aware. All you need to do is turn the automatic updates to on, but change the option to 'notify but don't download or install them'. Then, you simply deselect WGA and download the ones you want.
Pete

ah right, on the website it informs you that it needs to "update windows update software components" and promtly shoves that on, then the rest of the updates it had found appear once you confirm thats on.

btw, off topic slightly, did you ever warm to office 2007?
"He has to be larger than bacon"