Weird wrong stuff in everyday life

Sput

I was looking at a clock the other day, as I often do at work, and it was your old style roman numeral sort of clock. Then it struck me (Hey ho!): Take a look at the roman numerals

This isn't THE clock, just A clock. But they ALL have the "wrong" 4 for roman numerals. After a spot of googling it turns out the Romans didn't really use "IV", we just sort of invented it later on, presumably for symmetry with IX. But there you go, never noticed it before.

Anyway, I thought that was semi-interesting (look out for my new series S.I.) and weird because after years of looking at those sorts of clocks I never noticed it was totally at odds with everything I'd been taught. Anyone else got a similar observation of wrongness?*

*Cdd need not apply.
Knight knight
Nick Harvey
God

That reminds me of a Timex clock.

Uninteresting fact number 26,334,518 is that all clocks made by Timex were sent out from the factory with the hands set at ten past ten.

Just thought you might like to know that.
Sput

Is that because 20 past 8 looks sad?
Knight knight
rts

*runs down and checks hallway clock*

Indeed mine is IIII too. Interesting spot.

Looking at the clockface of Big Ben (yes I know that's the bell, not the tower), it appears they use IV, when comparing what looks like the V with '5'.

Alexia

I like this explanation from the many given:

* With IIII, the number of symbols on the clock totals twenty I's, four V's, and four X's, so clock makers need only a single mould with a V, five I's, and an X in order to make the correct number of numerals for their clocks: VIIIIIX. This is cast four times for each clock and the twelve required numerals are separated:
o V IIII IX
o VI II IIX
o VII III X
o VIII I IX

The IIX and one of the IX’s are rotated 180° to form XI and XII. The alternative with IV uses seventeen I's, five V's, and four X's, requiring the clock maker to have several different moulds.

Nick Harvey wrote:Uninteresting fact number 26,334,518 is that all clocks made by Timex were sent out from the factory with the hands set at ten past ten.
And indeed, most clock shops / Argoses (Argosii?) etc will also have the clocks set at 10:10, or 13:50, so that the hands form a smily face.
marksi

If this means "no left turn":
and this means "no right turn":
and this means "no U turns":
then why does this mean "no motor vehicles"?
Sput

Is that what it means? I thought it was "Evil Knievel"
Knight knight
Mr Q

I have never noticed the clock thing before, and it is easily the most mind-blowing fact that's been shared with me this week. I feel compelled to share it with everyone I know.
Gavin Scott
Admin

It is a cool fact - but I think I learned it back when Roman numerals were the only ones in use :?

PS: I heard it was about the aesthetics of the clock face too.
Sput

Apparently sundials are the same, then again they are roman.
Knight knight
Inspector Sands

Nick Harvey wrote:That reminds me of a Timex clock.

Uninteresting fact number 26,334,518 is that all clocks made by Timex were sent out from the factory with the hands set at ten past ten.
Not just Timex, most non-working watches that are for sale or are being advertised have their hands at 10 past 10, it;s because it makes them look like they're smiling. See http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en ... +Images&aq for many examples!

Of course you should avoid buying a watch from a stranger at midday or midnight.... it probably means that the watch only had one hand!