MFI and Woolworths

ashley b

Hymagumba wrote:I notice the Londis up the road from me is now a Nisa. Anything interesting happening with either of these chains or am i reading too much into it?
Strange you mention that as, as I mentioned in another thread, my local Londis became a Nisa about a month ago too.
*whistle*
Sput

I see there's a lot of talk about this being "the death of the high street" but I'm not convinced. It looks like it's a mess for the big chain stores but perhaps this will allow small independent retailers to make a comeback to fill the gaps and bring things back a little from the state now where every town centre is essentially identical.

Could be a rather fab thing in the long-run. I might well be wrong though!
Knight knight
Stuart*
Banned

Sput wrote:Could be a rather fab thing in the long-run. I might well be wrong though!
Before you are perhaps proved wrong: do explain in what way do you expect it to be fab?

Also please try to qualify your statement, as you have asked others to do, rather than just glibly anouncing a prophecy.
User removed
AJ

ashley b wrote:
Hymagumba wrote:I notice the Londis up the road from me is now a Nisa. Anything interesting happening with either of these chains or am i reading too much into it?
Strange you mention that as, as I mentioned in another thread, my local Londis became a Nisa about a month ago too.
A new Londis has just opened in my local area recently - it's all upmarket and posh too, with a new logo and big pictures of fresh fruit and veg covering the windows - very different to the usual grotty affair.

Just had a rummage on their website, and this is the new logo I'm talking about
Sput

Stuart* wrote:
Sput wrote:Could be a rather fab thing in the long-run. I might well be wrong though!
Before you are perhaps proved wrong: do explain in what way do you expect it to be fab?

Also please try to qualify your statement, as you have asked others to do, rather than just glibly anouncing a prophecy.
I also wrote:I see there's a lot of talk about this being "the death of the high street" but I'm not convinced. It looks like it's a mess for the big chain stores but perhaps this will allow small independent retailers to make a comeback to fill the gaps and bring things back a little from the state now where every town centre is essentially identical.
My original post was obviously too complicated for you so I've highlighted the bit you need to read just like The Mail does. I've also made clear it's a guess, not a prophecy. To restate it: I've seen many reports lamenting the death of small businesses on the high street and this might give way to some new ones.

Understand now?

Seriously, if you're going to try and pull someone up on their post at least make sure you read it first. If I'd only posted the bit you read then it would be worthy of pulling up but what you've done just makes you look like a tool.
Knight knight
nwtv2003

Someone at work pointed this out to me today with regards to Woolies, aswell as the supermarkets now selling everything contributing to its demise, there's also the fact that most Woolies are placed on High Streets in town centres, now I'm sure this is the case for a lot of people but in most town centres the car parks are a total nightmare or inaccessible, where as what we have in Warrington people can drive and park easily at any of the major supermarkets and get what they need, or drive up to somewhere like The Trafford Centre and park for free, and I can't say I've ever seen any Woolies in any big shopping centres at all.

It certainately made towns like Warrington think which spent millions of pounds extending and revamping their Golden Square shopping centre to get people back into the town, which to an extent it has achieved, but alot of it is at the expense of the high street, the 3/4 main shopping streets in Warrington have been deserted since Golden Square expanded, and Woolies is still on one of the quieter streets.

Woolworths would work if it had the money of the big supermarkets, and the patience obviously. Good example the other day was the release of Mammia Mia! on DVD, Asda and Morrisons were selling them for £7, Tesco was about £7.99, I'm sure Woolies were selling it for more than that.

Shame to see it go, but in these times when you get almost everything at the Supermarkets, there isn't much room for Woolworths.
steve
Nick Harvey
God

Sput wrote:makes you look like a tool.
What, a grease-gun?
Stuart*
Banned

Sput wrote:Seriously, if you're going to try and pull someone up on their post at least make sure you read it first. If I'd only posted the bit you read then it would be worthy of pulling up but what you've done just makes you look like a tool.
Your weirdness speaks for itself!
This is a chat forum for fun, not your insecurities!
User removed
Sput

Yeah, you've got me. All I do here is project my shortcomings onto others and live in a perpetual state of denial safe in the knowledge that, provided I accuse someone of something first, I am immune to the same criticism.
Knight knight
Stuart*
Banned

Sput wrote:Yeah, you've got me. All I do here is project my shortcomings onto others and live in a perpetual state of denial safe in the knowledge that, provided I accuse someone of something first, I am immune to the same criticism.
I'm glad you feel safe now, but people will look after you.
User removed
m-in-m

nwtv2003 wrote:I can't say I've ever seen any Woolies in any big shopping centres at all.
I know of one, Norwich Riverside - whether there are many though I don't know. All the others I have seen have been in High Streets - and many have not seen a refurbishment in years meaning they are difficult to navigate and not very apathetically pleasing.