Boh
27%
Snuh
73%

Total votes: 11
Gavin Scott
Admin

Metropol head office has had a refurb.

What do you all think of these Philippe Starck "Louis Ghost" chairs for the boardroom?

They are made of polycarbonate (plastic - to the great unwashed), and my concern is that they seem a bit like garden furniture.

The question is - if something is a design classic, like these are, does that mean people are *wrong* to giggle at them because the place looks a bit like a beer garden?

Say something positive. We've had 10 delivered, and I don't want buyer's remorse.
Sput

At least they're not green or dirty white. That's a start. Are they as light as garden furniture? I bet they are. That's what scares me about garden chairs.
Knight knight
Dr Lobster*

if you hadn't have told me, i would have assumed it was a garden chair you purchased out of do-it-all, homebase or somewhere crap like that, you know.. on a four for £25 special with table, shed and strimmer.
Sput

Lobster, where is your store?! Even without a garden that's a bargain and I *must* partake.
Knight knight
cdd

The "garden furniture" style is terribly fashionable these days, isn't it? I've seen similar ideas in Heals (which is dead upmarket) whilst milling about there.

I imagine the company that sold them loves them, because they're dime a dozen to make and sell for about £200 each.

So while they are fashionable now, that's sure to be a fad. Hence I think you should judge the chairs on comfort rather than appearance.
Gavin Scott
Admin

They are heavier than garden furniture, but not much. The problem is the back rest is hollow - where I think if it were solid it would feel much more substantial.

We toyed with the idea of having the clear versions (see below), but decided to go with black because of the black lacquer console tables and boardroom table.

These are more unusual, and probably wouldn't be confused with something cheaper.

Hmm.
Gavin Scott
Admin

cdd wrote:The "garden furniture" style is terribly fashionable these days, isn't it? I've seen similar ideas in Heals (which is dead upmarket) whilst milling about there.

I imagine the company that sold them loves them, because they're dime a dozen to make and sell for about £200 each.

So while they are fashionable now, that's sure to be a fad. Hence I think you should judge the chairs on comfort rather than appearance.
They've been flown in from an Italian manufacturer, and Philippe Starck is a pretty well known designer - "probably the best known designer in the New Design style. His designs range from spectacular interior designs to mass produced consumer goods such as toothbrushes, chairs, and even houses." according to Wiki.

But I think you're right - in essence its a plastic chair.
Sput

nodnirG kraM wrote:Now you see if it's a proper quality look you're after, look no further than the hand chair thing. Fancy.

If I post this image, will it mean anything to you?
Knight knight
Nini
Banned

He's a monster.

Hehe, seals. I do like the handchair (handbag? har.) there but wasn't Buster's plastic and red? Tsk.

Chairs are by Starck you say? Even if they are in essence plastic chairs (enter your own Chie based joke here) they are designed by Starck.
cdd

Gavin Scott wrote:But I think you're right - in essence its a plastic chair.
And a talking point, but not a patch on the hand chair :(

I want one.
Nick Harvey
God

I'd hate to have to take part in a lengthy meeting in one of those things.

Doesn't one build up rather a lot of perspiration around one's posterior?