Myths, mistruths and a well oiled publicity machine

Gavin Scott
Admin

Thanks, everyone, for your contributions so far, and especially to those who don't post very often for sharing your personal views about this site.

When Martin offered me the opportunity to look after Metropol I accepted gladly; motivated by my desire to ensure the site continued. The original Lounge on TV Forum had quickly become one of my favourite parts of the site - a place I could be guaranteed to find something worth reading every day, or any time I clicked online.

As well as offering a broad palette of curious and amusing thread topics, the original Lounge saw a lot of quarrelling and bitchiness too - often arguments, or personality clashes from other topics would spill over into it. This was largely the reason it was separated from TV Forum onto a different site.

Metropol's Lounge is, for all intents and purposes, exactly the same as the original one; the only notable addition being the "TV Forum Watch" thread - which was created by merging many smaller, organically derived threads from various members who wanted to get something off their chest. Yes, it does contain a fair bit of whining - but at least its contained in one place. People like to whine - its human nature. For the most part, the topics and discussions are rich in their diversity and the opinions expressed in them.

Metropol has gone though a technical and design overhaul since Pete came on board, which has afforded him the opportunity to interrogate the analytical data about visitors to the site. This revealed an alarmingly high bounce rate to new visitors, and that's not a good thing. Whilst there is no current policy to seek to increase the membership, I would like to think that any visitor could drop by and click through to a discussion. Maybe they'll feel compelled to sign up and join in - or maybe they will read an answer to a burning question or mildly divert themselves for a moment. That would be a good thing.

We can continue to analyse the data to see if the new homepage helps with new visitors exploring the site. Perceptions about the site are more difficult to redesign, however - but not impossible.

I would just ask members to be mindful of the views expressed by some in this thread when greeting new members for the first time. Once they know they're welcome to join in, they will soon pick up on the varied wit and style you all demonstrate.

Further comments on these matters is welcomed. If you have something to share, please do.
Jovis

I think two things have come up so far that are quite "important".

I think the majority of us believe that we will get a mixture of crap people and fab people signing up and posting, and that in our own way we will get rid of the crap and keep the fab. On the whole.

However, some also think that many of the fab people may be put off signing up in the first place as they may think they are crap and be disliked by the board.

Obviously I'm more crap than fab, but the same principle applies to me for the second point. I was very hesitant about joining up and posting simply because I did feel like an outsider. I don't know how we can change that to be honest. It's more than just linking to the site, because everyone who posts on TVF (I would say) knows about Metro, but clearly they don't all post here.

Maybe we don't want more members, in which case that is fine, nothing needs to be done. But if we do, then that (I believe) misconception needs to be changed.
Nini
Banned

Feel I'm repeating myself but why don't we invite those we would like here through PM with everyone getting the exact same copy and seeing what comes from that? Draw up a list and have Gav or Hyma send off the PMs maybe, very spammy I know but it'll make sure our target audience is the right one.

Helps dispel the whole fear element people have and allows them to know someone in charge wants them there and little harm will come to them during their bedding in period.

(Slightly OT but how long has the title had mistruths misspelled?)
Pete

Nini wrote:(Slightly OT but how long has the title had mistruths misspelled?)
the whole time, but via stealthy editing I can deny all knowledge of this
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Nick Harvey
God

Hymagumba wrote:via stealthy editing I can deny all knowledge of this
That's the sort of trick I utilise on the one occasion every decade when I make a spelling mistake.
cdd

Nick Harvey wrote:That's the sort of trick I utilise on the one occasion every decayde when I make a spelling mistake.
Don't you mean "decade"? ;)
TG

Our lord God Nick makes very few mistakes.

It's a skill he shares with Fred Dinenage. ;)
Jamez
Banned

This is an incredibly bitchy forum - with a definite homosexual vibe going on - which is fine by me, but would probably deter more discerning visitors from actually bothering to sign up.

The second aspect, is that there aren't enough girls. We need gender equilibrium, people (or at least a 4:1 ratio of boys/girls).

And if Metropol fails to retain former stars such as mdta, Lobster and Johnnyboy - all of whom rarely post - then there's definitely something missing.

What does Metropol offer to the average internet surfer - or even average internet anorak? Not much.

There doesn't seem to be many people on here that polarize opinion and generate thoughtful and insightful opinions or concepts.

I'd have to describe Metropol as a heavily diluted mixture of TV Forum, b3ta and Gaydar. The design is nice, but apart from that - it's a bit bland without much to offer.

That's how I see it. I'm only visiting right now out of a mixture of boredom and force-of-habit of remember to click onto this site.
User Removed
TG

To be honest, the bitchiness is one of the charms of Metropol for me.

Too many forums are too heavily policed, and everyone has to be oh-so-sweet, and the fact we CAN bitch, flirt, or whatever else, without fear of instant bans or slaps on the wrists, works well in my eyes.

So yeah, there's a lot of gay guys here. I notice it, but it seems NOT to be the be all and end all - to us at least. What the straights feel, if they agree with you, I couldn't say.

I quite like the mix we have - plus the fact that what female members we DO have, tend to be women who are a bit more gutsy, funny to read and make the place that bit more fun to participate.

Keep it up, guys! If people want to come, and stay, they'll get past the initiation the regulars seem to give.

If not, let them go back to a nice, safe, over-policed forum somewhere...
Nick Harvey
God

TG wrote:It's a skill he shares with Fred Dinenage.
Oooooooh, you leather-clad poofy bitch, I hate you!
davidmcg

StuartPlymouth wrote:
Hymagumba wrote:
StuartPlymouth wrote:It tooks me months to persuade davidmcg to join! :roll:
how did you convince him in the end? what were his fears?
(obv that's directed at david too, whenever he logs on again)
I don't know whether he had any fears, but I mentioned Metropol to David in March 2007, then again later in the year and a couple of times this year before he joined. Perhaps it was just my persistence as a Metropol Recruiter!

Well, a bit of charm yeah, but mainly cause the people on TVF were sound enough and Metro looked like a laugh so yeah, fears were Stuart makin me join other forums, the Nazi Appreciation Society, you know. But its nice enough around here, its like sitting beside a warm fire whenever I log in :)
-The Guy Formerly known as djmgpsp
-Follow me... http://www.twitter.com/david_galway

-Catch it, Bin it, Kill it, Bop it!... New to BBC3