The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Stuart*
Banned

TG wrote:The thing that fucks us off no end is the liars who phone and claim that items were missing, just because they KNOW that CS will blindy agree and refund.
My usual experience has been to receive something I didn't order, or get charged for; quite a few of my friends have had the same bonus! I presume these are normally part of somebody else's order that have fallen into one of my bags/trays during transit. Needless to say, I've never felt it necessary to 'complain' about this! ;)
User removed
wells

Sorry to drag up an old thread like this!

But I was wondering if you'd spotted any nice superstores on Google Earth?
Alexia

wells wrote:Sorry to drag up an old thread like this!

But I was wondering if you'd spotted any nice superstores on Google Earth?
Sainsbury's Sydenham still has its SavaCentre logo on its roof... and has quite a nice frontage. (search postcode SE26 4PU).

MarshMills Sainsbury's in Plymouth with its sails is quite nice.
wells

You can links to everywhere on Google Earth.

Plymouth isn't on Google street view but it does link to this pic.
Full Image http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/4995193.jpg

Here's that SavaCentre sign you mentioned.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... oramio.all
Pete

as this has sort of became a general supermarket thread...

Has everyone else seen the new sainsburys tills? The two main new features being
1 - that they actually work faster than handwriting the barcodes on parchment would have
2 - double sided receipts

Now the second one is obviously a bit of cost cutting disguised as "we <3 the environment" but it really is just ghastly and shit. I mean you can't easily consult it and get confused trying to work things out. What an utter load of nonsense that's what I say.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Nick Harvey
God

Hymagumba wrote:2 - double sided receipts
We've had these things down here for a year or more.

Bloody useless when you want, what used to be, all three receipts. One to check off the credit card bill, one for the VAT man and one for 'er indoors to check the Nectar points.

Sainsburys used to be the only place where you could ask for "a collection of all your finest receipts" and get exactly what you needed to save keeping the "proper" one for the VAT man and putting hand scrawled notes in the credit card and Nectar files.

Not any more.
m-in-m

Hymagumba wrote:as this has sort of became a general supermarket thread...

Has everyone else seen the new sainsburys tills? The two main new features being
1 - that they actually work faster than handwriting the barcodes on parchment would have

Now the second one is obviously a bit of cost cutting disguised as "we <3 the environment" but it really is just ghastly and shit. I mean you can't easily consult it and get confused trying to work things out. What an utter load of nonsense that's what I say.
The self service tills have a huge flaw it would seem. They do not allow the use of coupons - which considering Sainsburys have been/are rolling out coupon printers on all their tills seems a little silly. We will issue you a coupon on this self service checkout for your next purchase, but you may not use it on this same self service checkout next time.
Pete

do they not have the tesco/asda system of scan the coupon and wait for minion to double check you're not just putting scraps of paper in the slot?

I came across a morrisons self service till in another town recently and was amazed at the over the top money insertion system, it was rather fab. Also B&Q's with the additional gun for items that are too fiddly to use the normal scanner are very goodl
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Philip Cobbold

m-in-m wrote:

The self service tills have a huge flaw it would seem. They do not allow the use of coupons - which considering Sainsburys have been/are rolling out coupon printers on all their tills seems a little silly. We will issue you a coupon on this self service checkout for your next purchase, but you may not use it on this same self service checkout next time.
All the self scans are being updated so they will accept coupons. They seem to be doing stores at random though, so it'll just be a case of waiting for your store to be done.
scottishtv

m-in-m wrote:They do not allow the use of coupons - which considering Sainsburys have been/are rolling out coupon printers on all their tills seems a little silly.
Indeed. Why are separate, additional Epson (I think) printers needed at each checkout for these coupons? Tesco used to print Clubcard bonus coupons on the same till printer so why is the additional printer needed? Maybe all the pre-printed T&Cs on the back are the reason I suppose, but it seems extravagent. Also slows down the transaction time as the coupons still seem to print only after the receipt has printed.

Also, all the offers I've been getting lately are really poor like "50p off when you spend £7 on bread" and the like. I thought they were meant to be targeted?!

And while we're talking about these things, why do the Sainsbury's till drawers still pop open after a card transaction? This used to be needed so the staff member could put in the store copy of the signed receipt, but since Chip-and-PIN was introduced this is no longer required. M&S stopped the till opening the cash drawers soon after Chip-and-PIN was introduced as tp reduce the security risk of someone seeing lots of cash and fancying a grab at it. What do the other supermarket tills do?
m-in-m

Philip Cobbold wrote:
m-in-m wrote:

All the self scans are being updated so they will accept coupons. They seem to be doing stores at random though, so it'll just be a case of waiting for your store to be done.
Well that's a joke. Why couldn't they have done them not six weeks ago when the store was closed for refurbishment! At least they are getting round to it.