Baffling local news stories

Sput

The MEN, probably. God there are some cretins on that site.
Knight knight
Adders

That is true. I love the way that the Messenger is so obviously biased towards Labour. Their Tories in Turmoil section proved that their paper isn't worth reading.
timgraham

The Fiji Times had an amusing 'thumbs down' column when I visited there pre-military dictatorship a few years ago, which seemed to be primarily concerned with the condition of the roads.
Sput

n534037586_787239_7631.jpg
The latest from the never-biased Malaysian media.
Knight knight
Nini
Banned

Ah, those Malay and their government run media.. not quite up there with small fires that have already been put out though.
timgraham

Not to be outdone by their neighbours (and rivals) in Singapore, where Malaysian newspapers are actually illegal.
Mr Q

There's a story in one of our newspapers this weekend that has me baffled. St Kilda is a central beachfront suburb here in Melbourne, and apparently some locals are getting a bit miffed by 'outsiders' coming in and having fun in their neighbourhood. From The Age:
BANNING people who live outside St Kilda from entering its entertainment precinct and cancelling the St Kilda Festival are among several drastic ideas frustrated residents have raised to help reduce the area's alcohol-related problems.

At a community forum convened this week by local MP Martin Foley to outline the State Government's alcohol action plan, residents raised the possibility of:

■Cancelling the St Kilda Festival because residents objected to the crowd the final day's street party attracted.

■Banning backpackers from the suburb because many were too boisterous.

■Banning non-residents from entering the entertainment precinct at night because police data suggested most of the troublemakers lived outside the municipality.

■Fitting residents with ankle bracelets to distinguish them from visitors.

■Banning venues from serving alcohol after 11pm to avoid drunks roaming the streets all night.
I don't think I've read or heard anything so stupid for a while now. I just can't believe some old geezers would get so worked up about a bit of noise that, among other things, they'd be openly proposing wearing ankle bracelets like house-bound criminals.
Nini
Banned

This is a local festival for local people.
timgraham

Then it would almost certainly attract the kind of people they're attempting to get rid of..St Kilda is an area known for its drug addicts, backpackers, and ladies of the night. (The Secret Life of Us, a drama series which appeared on Channel Four for a while a few years back, was shot there if it jogs any memories.)

It's meant to be large-scale by design (or at least in recent years), crowds in excess of 250,000 people and various areas licensed to different businesses.
Sput

I liked reading in this same Malaysian paper that mentioned that their prime minister had made a speech and, according to the prime minister: "It was very well received. I got a standing ovation".

That was the extent of their analysis.
Knight knight
Pete

take a trip with me to the website of the evening telegraph.

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/outpu ... index.shtm

Lucky for Dundee, in spite of the Lloyds TSB / HBOS merger, the alliance trust will in fact continue building the £12m office they've been building for the last year. Naturally I expected them to just abandon it and let it rot, instead of occupying it or, in the worst case, finishing it and selling it. Well done the tele for telling me this.
"He has to be larger than bacon"