The Official Social Networking Thread

Pete

OK, so I reactivated my facebook, let's just call the other thread an unthread and be done with it.

I noticed today whilst gawking at a photo on myspace that they've now added a share button, to share the photo with digg, reddit, technorati, and Facebook. Yes, facebook. This led to me thinking, what exactly is myspace for these days? Nobody seems to use it anymore aside from bands, and it seems to have completely stopped any sort of major innovation like bebo and facebook have done. if either bebo or facebook were to improve their band pages would myspace be doomed?

More to the point, would anyone care?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Nini
Banned

What's this "social networking" you speak of? I remember anti-social networking some time back in the dark ages though, that was fab.
Dr Lobster*

i logged in to my myspace account for the first time in months and nearly everyone on my friends list have cancelled their accounts and vanished. i think will cancel mine at some point.

i use facebook, it's usefulness is that you have to use your real name so you can easily locate your old school buddies. i don't login to my facebook every day, just when i remember. it's not the sort of thing i have open all the time otherwise people start sending you crappy invites and notifications to your superwall, it gets a bit annoying after a while as they are all the same jokes that have been floating around the net for years.
Lorns

I must cancel minesometime soon too. I never use it anymore. I only keep it going so i can keep an eye on my step daughters. They don't have facebook yet.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
Chris

OK, so I reactivated my facebook...
Out of curiousity, why?!

I've never really understood the point of social networking websites, and why people are obsessed by it, to the point to which they have to update their status from their phone about whatever they're doing. Honestly, who gives a shit?

Another thing I don't get is why people feel the need to post every single photo up on there for all and sundry to see?
Nini
Banned

Chris wrote:I've never really understood the point of social networking websites, and why people are obsessed by it, to the point to which they have to update their status from their phone about whatever they're doing. Honestly, who gives a shit?
Same reason why Twitter and others exist: ego.

Some who do it have a genuinely good reason for keeping in contact like that such as finding old acquaintances or keeping tabs with friends they can't actually talk to face to face and the like, the rest is mainly out of self-interest and not at all for everyone else's benefit no matter what excuses you get given. You're not as fabulously popular as you reckon and fuck no do people honestly care if you're really wrecked this morning "lol" (what is it with LOL anyway? Like punctuation for some folk).