Windows Vista - Bugs etc

Cache

Hi there :D

Thought i'd start my *official* time here by adding a new topic to do with the annoying bugs in my Vista. I don't know if anyone else experiences any of these or not, or has any solutions, but it might make an interesting discussion

:!: When typing, the cursor often jumps to a new place (it's done it twice up to now just typing this ^^ )

:!: The Areo thee deactivates itself if i don't turn my computer off for a few days

:!: The search box on the start menu takes about five minuites to find aything (even though all my files are indexed and my hard drive had about 15GB full)

Well, lets start a discussion. 1, 2, 3, GO!
lukey

math-yoooo wrote: :!: When typing, the cursor often jumps to a new place (it's done it twice up to now just typing this ^^ )
On a laptop, by any chance?
Cache

Yes, actually!

And it's meant to say 'Areo theme' not 'thee' up there ^^ sorry
Nini
Banned

And you still misspell Aero. Must be on a lappy, keeps dropping letters which happens to some.

If you're matthew-hmm-1999 from over there, I'm not welcoming you here given this slice of non-topic.
Cache

Well thanks (i think) nini

And yes i am matthew from 'over there' - I just thought it would be interesting to find out all the annoying niggles in Vista

Sorry if i upset you :shock:
Sput

The suspicions are necessary over here. We do tend to get people trying over and over to sign up after we hound them out. Masochists.
Knight knight
Dr Lobster*

welcome to metropol matthew.

here's mine:

> when an applications crashes, sometimes the task manager won't kill it. it happens with many different applications, including internet explorer and the command prompt. then vista eventually becomes unresponsive and dies.

> the indexer is badly designed and inefficient.

the problem with low priority i/o which the indexer process is supposed to use is that by the time it goes through the antivirus filter driver it is no longer 'low priority'. and because of design flaws in the operating system itself (such as the flaw that by simply opening a wmf file you could expose yourself to executable code) the indexer is implemented in several memory and processor hogging modules and when you come to access your computer after the indexer has been doing something it takes awhile for your pc to come back to life. it also decides to index when you're watching a dvd in media centre sometimes. good timing.

> the usb driver stack is badly implemented

tried using usb network devices like 3g broadband? don't bother. it might work, then it might not. you might need to unplug and replug it in again, or you might need to remove and reinstall. i know that might not be strictly vista's fault, but it worked ok in xp and the updated driver actually came off windows update.

i won't go into the usual complaints like how much more sluggish it feels or the stupid uac prompts which appear like 3 times when you try moving items in the start menu (i know you can turn it off, and i have which defeats the point of it because it's just *too* annoying) or how the aero interface is a bit of a nothing. i mean really, see-through bits of blank space which used to be grey.... some people over on neowin cream their knickers over the vista interface. who cares.

there are lots of great things in vista too, like the improved explorer breadcrumbs. the indexer does show promise, it's just a bit cruddy right now. i like built in system encryption but all in all, it's a bit of a disappointment and i feel for those suckers who paid full price for a vista retail box product. at launch time 3rd party products did everything in xp which were supposed to be the core reasons for buying ultimate in a much better and efficient way (for example pgp whole disk encryption is a much much better product than bitlocker).
Beep

Windows Vista, the biggest bug of all.
Nini
Banned

Godfather wrote:Windows Vista, the biggest bug of all.
Think that brings this to a tidy conclusion. The bug is Vista, a freebie from Godfather there.
Sput

Yup. Good job we have his years of experience in the IT industry to cut through the false positives and tell us something useful.
Knight knight
Beep

Sput wrote:Yup. Good job we have his years of experience in the IT industry to cut through the false positives and tell us something useful.
Its XP with a glassier look and new name, lets face it , it has the same programmes and system files, take a peek. go on, right now , get your finger out.