Booze & Fags

Alexia

As some of you may know I work nights. This however has not led me to discard the usual routine of a swift tipple of a Friday night. Sometimes it even helps my productivity in work, being slightly relaxed and my mood enhanced.

So, this morning at 7:35am, I bought my Daily Mirror and my bottle of water as I usually do before I go home, and decided to pick up a four-can of John Smiths for the weekend's libations.

Sadly the otherwise pleasant Asian shopowner pointed out he couldn't serve me alcohol before 8:30am.

Miffed, I paid for my sundries in silence and trotted out of the store, only to hear the dulcet tones of the chavtastic lady behind me bark out an order for "10 Lamberts".

How is it that my relatively genteel act of a pint of best bitter in the comfort of my own home is subject to a curfew worthy of a dictatorship, yet the cancerous sticks which have caused a whole generation unneccessary suffering is a 24/7 commodity?

The worst part of all this is that post-daytime sleep, I will have to walk down the canal later to purchase my green tins of Extra Smooth in the impending rain, rather than having them sitting and chilling quite happily in my refrigirator at this very moment.

Rant over.
Alexia

Oh yeh, I'm prejudiced.
Ronnie Rowlands

Yeah you see a lot of people getting into a fight they couldn't possibly win/cause a lot of violence in the streets because they've had one too many fags, don't you.
Ronnie is victorious, vivacious in victory like a venomous dog. Vile Republicans cease living while the religious retort with rueful rhetoric. These rank thugs resort to violence and swear revenge.

But Ronnie can punch through steel so they lose anyway.
Lorns

You've never seen me kick off yet while suffering nicotine withdrawal symptoms have you.
Also does this 24hour drinking thing not apply to stores selling booze as well? I've noticed my Tesco won't sell it till 10.30am on a Sunday and 8 or 8.30am weekdays. Not sure on weekday licensing hours as i don't buy any booze till after 5pm.
And i'm a bit bored with this smoking is a filthy habit talk.

Outside our local people stand and smoke and yet non smokers walking past to go into the pub still have to have a sly little cough and sneer as they walk past. I did have to say something that didn't go down too well.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
Ronnie Rowlands

miss hellfire wrote:I did have to say something that didn't go down too well.
no no, please go on.
Ronnie is victorious, vivacious in victory like a venomous dog. Vile Republicans cease living while the religious retort with rueful rhetoric. These rank thugs resort to violence and swear revenge.

But Ronnie can punch through steel so they lose anyway.
Lorns

Long story cut short....It started with a tutorial about the smoking nazis can't have everything their own way which resulted in a debate, by this time more smokers had gathered outside heard part of debate and joined in. Eventually the persistant coughers went into the pub, i followed made a complaint to the landlord about how i found this chaps wifes cheap perfume offensive and i got banned for a week.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
Johnny

miss hellfire wrote:Long story cut short....It started with a tutorial about the smoking nazis can't have everything their own way which resulted in a debate, by this time more smokers had gathered outside heard part of debate and joined in. Eventually the persistant coughers went into the pub, i followed made a complaint to the landlord about how i found this chaps wifes cheap perfume offensive and i got banned for a week.
As someone who doesn't smoke I think some fellow non smokers completey over react to the "filthy habit". In an ideal world smoking wouldn't harm you, or wouldn't exist at all but as far as I'm concerned it's peoples choice & I do feel that smokers have been picked on a bit. Some of the non & ex smokers are absolute sarky bastards "look at those saddos smoking out in the rain" & the comment that always gets my back up "it's unfair, smokers get extra breaks compared to us". Here's an idea, take a tea break yourself

One of the silliest things when the smoking ban came in was that London Victoria coach station had smoking rooms & they had to be closed. Why? if you're an anti smoker & you stupid enough to go in a room with the sign "smoking room" on it then that's your own fault.
Lorns

And with the rain and the blustery winds tonight i'm glad to be an old git with nowhere to go. As i can drink and smoke in the luxury of my own central heated home.

When i'm out now i smoke about 3-4 cigs instead of my usual 15+. To replace the missing 10 or so i suck on about 5 lollies chew gum and eat copious amount of jelly babies. Not doing the waistline much good. Goodness knows what my dentist will say on my next visit.
Alexia

nodnirG kraM wrote:My local Tesco Express has a licence till 2, but shuts at midnight weekdays and 11 on Sundays, therefore only sells alcohol from open till close. The nearest Extra however has a 24/7 licence. It's open Mon 8am till Sat 10pm, with alcohol available throughout. It is 12 miles away however, so logistically it's much better to stock up well in advance.
Funny you should mention this Sir Gringo, as the next day my lift home topped up with petrol at one of those Tesco/Esso hybrids (Tesso / Esco anyone?), I topped my John Smith stocks up too.

Available from 6am. Bargain.
Lorns

Been thinking about that old boy who gets booted out of his local everytime he wants to fart. Can't see this catching on.
Could you imagine if every boozer across the land adopted this rule or heaven forbid the goverment deems it illegal to fart in enclosed spaces.
Imagine the habitual farters being confined with the smokers everytime they needed to fart. With all that methane boozers all over the country would go BOOM!!!
rdobbie

Johnny wrote:One of the silliest things when the smoking ban came in was that London Victoria coach station had smoking rooms & they had to be closed. Why? if you're an anti smoker & you stupid enough to go in a room with the sign "smoking room" on it then that's your own fault.
Excellent point. This particularly infuriates me about airports too.

Before the ban most airports had a smoking room and there was absolutely no reason for non-smokers or staff to go in there, apart from a cleaner to empty the overflowing ashtrays maybe once or twice a day. And she could have worn a mask for the amount of seconds it would take to do that.

Smoking rooms were just a tiny little concession to the wishes of millions of smokers. Everyone knows how stressful it can be being trapped in an airport, sometimes for many hours as your flight is delayed. Once you're past Passport control you're in a sealed environment and can't go outdoors.

That's why I find the "absolute" ban on smoking in public buildings to be unjustifiably vindictive and cruel. It would have been sensible and reasonable to have exceptions in the ban allowing for smoking rooms in stations and airports etc.