Yet another Morrisons thread

rdobbie

I've just spent a few days in Spain and popped into Gibraltar, where a visit to check out their local Morrisons was a must.

Hope these pics are of some interest to other sad anoraks like myself. It was very weird to come across something as British as Morrisons buried so deeply in the most southern tip of Europe, especially with so many relics of the Safeway era still in operation.

The products on sale were a strange 50/50 mixture of Spanish brands and Morrisons own brands. Another strange juxtaposition was seeing the usual Morrisons food being served in the coffee shop, but with a range of Spanish beers also being sold on draught.

The store was currently undergoing a refit, but as you can see, the interior was still almost entirely Safeway, including the staff uniforms:

But the new lettering fitted to the exterior of the store and petrol station is the new style Morrisons lettering, (unlike the brand new stores in mainland UK which have just opened with the old lettering):

(They were just finishing putting up this new sign as I arrived).

Seeing the petrol station was the highlight of my day, particularly the old Safeway price tower with a new style 'M' slapped on it. The 'Petrol' lettering on the canopy is also an original Safeway relic from the late 80's (close up it looked quite faded and wonky).

Note the price of fuel. (Oh, and fags were 90p per pack of 20, and vodka and whisky were £2.49 a litre, but that's another story). Sadly I got a puzzled look and a shrug of the shoulders when I handed over my Morrisons Miles loyalty card, but when you get half a tank for £12 you don't really care.

Gavin Scott
Admin

I was about to say, "that's a nice big hill in the background" then I read properly and realised it's the rock of Gibraltar.
all new Phil

Gibraltar is one of those places I have always fancied visiting, I don't know why, probably just out of curiosity. I think the thought of a Morrisons in a different country is more exciting than I can put into words!
Sput

Try a tesco in scotland for that foreign supermarket rush!
Knight knight
Stuart*
Banned

all new Phil wrote:Gibraltar is one of those places I have always fancied visiting, I don't know why, probably just out of curiosity. I think the thought of a Morrisons in a different country is more exciting than I can put into words!
Gibraltar is certainly an experience not to be missed. It's like a little bit of the UK in southern Europe; it's actually now part of our constituency for EU Parliamentary elections (South West England).

The police all have UK style uniforms, the phone boxes are all like the old style red ones (well they were when I visited), the currency looks very similar to UK coins and banknotes. Walking down the main street is very similar to any High Street in the UK, with many recognisable names. The only difference is the noticable heat, and the fact that every so often you can see a plane landing at the top of the road - the runway crosses the top of the main road!. To enter Gibraltar from Spain you have to walk or drive across the runway.
User removed
barcode

Sput wrote:Try a tesco in scotland for that foreign supermarket rush!
shame there got hold of Wm low!

also Preston went the same way :|
Pete

I found a Wm Low bag in Mr Hyma's loft the other day.

I have some news btw, I fear if I reveal it however I might be shunned and forced to leave the forum :(
"He has to be larger than bacon"
barcode

Ebay it ! :D
scottishtv

martindtanderson wrote:Speaking of supermarket re-brands, here is the evolution of Marks & Spencer...

Sorry Martin, but you'll never see that third variation on any products or signage. It will always be the vertical "YOUR" with "M&S" on the horizonital used as the brand. A full written version isn't used because they want to use the M&S name now.

Much of the food and drink packaging is still using the 2nd version, but the stacked "MARKS &" with "SPENCER" underneath.

Anyway, they've annoyed me with what they've done to the Edinburgh store - "Your M&S" doesn't lend itself to outdoor store signage very well as it's too short and looks a bit daft. Also, how dare they relegate the former great sandwich shop at street level to two small fridges in the basement. Roll on summer, they'll regret it then when the tourists can't find a nice lunch to enjoy in Princes Street gardens.
Stuart*
Banned

Hymagumba wrote:I have some news btw, I fear if I reveal it however I might be shunned and forced to leave the forum :(
What is your news then Hyma. I'm sure you won't be shunned or exiled because of your revelation (even if it's that you have found Maddy).
User removed
Sput

That's impossible. She's in my garage.
Knight knight