Should Saddam be let off with an asbo?

Not The Chef
Banned

Dr Lobster*

executing him will solve nothing. if anything it will flare up tensions and result in more civilians and troops being killed (doing it on telly would be even more stupid)

i would much rather see him in solitary confinement for the rest of his life, it is clear from the suicide of harold shipman and multiple suicide attempts of ian huntley that being in a secure cell for most of the day drives them mad
Rob Del Monte

I think the best justice would be being forced to help with the clean-up of the country, and being forced to help in the creation of the democracy (not politically—like helping building the buildings, preparing areas for polling booths &c.), this would be putting back into the community—that way he is paying-back some of the negativity he contributed to the society.
Rob Del Monte
Why do people say “Quad bike” and “Double prime”—it is like saying a “three-sided square”, oh wait they do, “Tri-square”?!
Pete

to be fair, saddam did improve the country a hell of a lot in the early days, and it's in a worse mess than it ever was under his rule.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Stuart*
Banned

Hymagumba wrote:to be fair, saddam did improve the country a hell of a lot in the early days, and it's in a worse mess than it ever was under his rule.
Yes Hyma, but that doesn't excuse some of the awful things he did (or was responsible for). Hilter improved Germany's industry to a remarkable level, but he had a malevolent side too :shock:

I don't agree with the Death Penalty for anyone (if you make a mistake it's too late to say "sorry"). No doubt Saddam is guilty as charged, but you can't change your ethics on that basis (unless Saddam suddenly announced his guilt and said he wanted to die).

I think the best punishment would be to let him slowly go mad (if he isn't already) locked-up in solitary confinement for years......with Jamie Oliver setting the prison menu! :lol:
Not The Chef wrote:He should but the execution should be televised live.
I heard that Al Jazeera were intending to broadcast it - so no doubt it will be on YouTube within minutes!
Pete

Stu - I was responding to the irony of del monte's post rather than attempting to excuse saddam outright
Stuart*
Banned

Hymagumba wrote:Stu - I was responding to the irony of del monte's post rather than attempting to excuse saddam outright
Lol, I did understand that - I didn't think you had been a secret member of the Iraqi Ba'ath Party :D .

However, it was easier to just reply to your post rather than start copying RdM's too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(I never understand some people who quote half a page of posts....and then write two lines as a reply......everyone can see what is written before!)
Rob Del Monte

StuartPlymouth wrote:
Hymagumba wrote:Stu - I was responding to the irony of del monte's post rather than attempting to excuse saddam outright
Lol, I did understand that - I didn't think you had been a secret member of the Iraqi Ba'ath Party :D .

However, it was easier to just reply to your post rather than start copying RdM's too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(I never understand some people who quote half a page of posts....and then write two lines as a reply......everyone can see what is written before!)
What good would confining him do? It wouldn't deter any dictators, they know that they are just taking a risk on Bush's roulette game.

A bit like copying music files, a thread on here a while ago was talking about those file-sharing programmes.

"[Something along the lines of]yes, but only a dozen people have been sued . . ."

All confining him would do, is to torture yet another person in the world. I think that justice should be postive, not negative.
Rob Del Monte
Why do people say “Quad bike” and “Double prime”—it is like saying a “three-sided square”, oh wait they do, “Tri-square”?!
Pete

I smell a leftie
Lorns

I really couldn't give a toss what happens to Saddam. If he was given an asbo he'd probably wear it as a badge of honour. I kind of feel left out that i haven't got an ASBO.

All i really want is our boys to come home and for there to be peace in the middle east.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
chinajan

Rob Del Monte wrote: What good would confining him do? It wouldn't deter any dictators, they know that they are just taking a risk on Bush's roulette game.
As we are at a point where people are prepared to commit suicide in the name of terror I think that talk of deterrents is sterile.

I'm in the solitary confinement with bread / water / sucide pills pushed under the door camp. As I am for all murderers.