'Ms.N.'/'Windows Live'

Rob Del Monte

What is happening to 'Ms.N.'‽

It is a respected brand, it is very known about. "I'll talk to you on 'msn' l8er 'bout it."; "We talked on msn"

'Ms.N.', it rolls off your tongue.

Then there is 'Windows Live', it sounds cool, but it doesn't seem on a par with 'Ms.N.' to me.

Also, the service, 'Ms.N. Groups' has got rid of its chat service. I'm in a group, which was trying to have a chat slot. They tried it out for a few weeks, and were going to make a go of it permanetly, then I log in a few days ago, and find that there is a message saying that the chat is closing. They already got rid of their main chat service.

Also, I used to love playing my C.D.R.O.M. games with absolute strangers on the 'Ms.N. Gaming Zone', that was brill'. I loved it, they closed that! This 'Windows Live' thing better be good!

Why replace a relatively soft-sounding brand, with an abrasive, multi-sylabalic (I think that is the right word and sp.!), that is 'Windows Live'. I saw a thing in the 'paper which said that Microsoft had won a poll for best brand.

Personally I dont like their brand. They always give their program(me) names, these long, sectioned names.

For example:

'Microsoft Office Outlook(R) Web Mail Access', or something along those lines.

'Microsoft Windows XP Media Center [sic (remember that it is an americanism, of an american company)] Edition', or something like that.

What is wrong with, or 'Microsoft Outlook Web', or 'Microsoft Windows Media XP'?

What do you think?
Rob Del Monte
Why do people say “Quad bike” and “Double prime”—it is like saying a “three-sided square”, oh wait they do, “Tri-square”?!
Jovis

Well for a start, it's MSN or msn. It isn't ms.N. We know whether it's married or not. It isn't.

But I agree with you over the name change, MSN is easier to say, Windows Live - rubbish new name in my opinion.

People are still gonna call it MSN not Windows Live.
James H

Del monte, I'd love to read some of your .m:s,n. conversations
Adders

This is my first post on here in a long time, but when I saw this topic title, I thought it was someone taking the piss out of our 'R.o.b', but I was wrong.
MarkN

Rob Del Monte wrote:What do you think?
I think that you're a 'troll'.
Rob Del Monte wrote:What is wrong with ... 'Microsoft Windows Media XP'?
People may confuse the OS with Windows Media Player.
Bail

That and MSN is well known, but in time I suspect WLM can take over. But I'll miss the butterfly.
Alarsne53

Rob Del Monte wrote:
'Ms.N.', it rolls off your tongue.
Not when you've spelt it.
Rob Del Monte

I just think that a quality service is being trashed. I like the beta-technique that they're using, getting their consumers opinion about the services prior to release. Though one is legally-bound to make a statment about the service if they download it :\.

Microsoft Corp. is a very big company. I'm sure that they'd have been able to replace the software for the cdrom games for the gaming zone. I hope that they will replace it—it's not been closed for that long yet. Also, I hope that they launch a new chat applet—the one that groups have/had was still the one that 'msn chat' used (aesthetically anyway).

The gaming zone had 'zonefriends', which they've got rid of, saying that messenger does the job. however, I don't think that you had to give out your e-mail address to use 'zonefriends', just your zone id, whereas with messenger, you do. They say that you just set up another account, especially for the gaming zone (the gaming zone now with out cdrom games), but it gets tedious running several accounts, in my opinion.

I agree, that 'Windows' is the name of the operating system, and msn is the network, of (primarly though) windows' and other operating systems' users. I think that it will lead to brand-ambiguity. Unless, which I think is not impossible, microsoft are planning to revert entirely to the 'windows' brand, and suffix it with a division (and 'windows live' is the first service in this move).
Rob Del Monte
Why do people say “Quad bike” and “Double prime”—it is like saying a “three-sided square”, oh wait they do, “Tri-square”?!
Charlie Wells

I think for a long time it'll still be referred to as 'MSN' particularly in message board profiles etc.. 'Windows Live Messenger' is a mouthful unless people decided to abreviate it to 'WLM', though then people probably wouldn't recognise that the same.

As for Windows Live Messenger, I tend to use Trillian instead to connect.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
Rob Del Monte

WLM versus msn:

dou-ble-'u', l, em, five sylables.

m, s, n, three sylablres, also the syllables/consanants seem vocally segregated, they don't flow, in wlm. Here is an idea, what about simply 'Live Messenger'?

I feel really let down by msn at the moment, they have cancelled two of their really good services recently, of the ones that they use.

I'm tempted to get ICQ, I already have AIM, Yahoo!, and 'MSN', though, I know, because time warner (aol time warner) own both icq and aim, that the two are compatible, but is the service better with both of the software?
Rob Del Monte
Gluben

Why not just "WinLive"?