Train Geeks - Virgin loses franchise...

Skytower

DJGM wrote:
Aston wrote: Good, coz Midland Mainline are fucking ace!
They were ace, until they discontinued services from Manchester. And yet they still send me (someone who lives in
northwest Manchester) offers of lo-cost train fares to London. I'd signed up for their More Business service, which
entitled me to get First Class return fares to London for (IIRC) £19, which was an absolute bargain, and also
included free drinks and (IIRC) light refreshments if I showed my "More" membership card at the buffet car.

The only caveat with it, was that it took about an hour or so longer, than an equivalent journey on a West Coast
train. But seeing as I had First Class comfort, and free drinks and snacks, there was no real reason to complain!

If MM resume services from Manchester, I'll renew my "More" membership, assuming they still offer that service!
Unlikely.

The line that goes over the Hope valley was an immense bottleneck prior to MM having to offer Manchester services while the West Coast line was having engineering work. It simply proved too much of a headache - particularly at Dore junction, just outside Sheffield.
Bail

The Class 377/1 in it's Southern livelry. The best IMO train there is. Don't ask why I'm drawing this btw.
MarkN

cwathen wrote:and Virgin, who run almost brand new Voyagers with a mains point at every seat for my laptop and phone charger to plug in to, provide at-seat entertainment for every passenger
...if you can actually get a seat, due to there not being enough carriages. When you do actually manage to get a seat (or if you remember to reserve a seat which is not currently occupied by someone who needs it more than you do), 9 times out of 10 the radio doesn't work.
cwathen wrote:a buffet car which doesn't close for ridiculously long periods of time
...if you can squeeze your way through the people stood in the aisles...
cwathen wrote:and toilets which don't bring back memories of primary school camps.
Admittedly, I can't moan about the toilets because I've never actually used a loo on a Virgin Voyager. Do they also have foot-operated taps? :-)

Maybe I've just had so many bad experiences with Virgin that I can't remember any decent journeys. Oh well.
iSon

MarkN wrote:
cwathen wrote:and Virgin, who run almost brand new Voyagers with a mains point at every seat for my laptop and phone charger to plug in to, provide at-seat entertainment for every passenger
...if you can actually get a seat, due to there not being enough carriages. When you do actually manage to get a seat (or if you remember to reserve a seat which is not currently occupied by someone who needs it more than you do), 9 times out of 10 the radio doesn't work.
cwathen wrote:a buffet car which doesn't close for ridiculously long periods of time
...if you can squeeze your way through the people stood in the aisles...
cwathen wrote:and toilets which don't bring back memories of primary school camps.
Admittedly, I can't moan about the toilets because I've never actually used a loo on a Virgin Voyager. Do they also have foot-operated taps? :-)

Maybe I've just had so many bad experiences with Virgin that I can't remember any decent journeys. Oh well.
The Voyagers are a bit silly - you can get never get a seat on them and are always formed with less carriages than they're supposed to be.

However a trip on a Pendolino is a joy - the radio DOES work, I've never had an issue getting a seat at any time of the day - and taking just one hour between London and home makes them worth every penny.

And the buffet car is very nice - when I was particularly pissed off with London last year I hopped on the train and stood with the man in the shop drinking cans of Stella moaning about life. Now that's service. :lol:
Good Lord!
Fireboy

MarkN wrote:
Ahaaaa I get the Voyager some mornings from Newcastle > Durham. Of course, it's not busy there ;) . Besides even if I did have to stand, I'd rather do it on a Voyager than those vulgar Transpennine Express trains. First time I ever used the train to work, the Radio worked, but never since! I'm not really into "Over Easy" with Ken Bruce anyway. :lol:
Pete

I occasionally get a Voyager from Newcastle to Berwick and eery time I've been on it's been fab with the radio only bust once.

I make a point of choosing Virgin over those horrid dirty GNER trains.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Fireboy

Hymagumba wrote: I make a point of choosing Virgin over those horrid dirty GNER trains.
Yes, but compared to Transpennine, a GNER train is a palace.
babyben

Fireboy wrote:
Hymagumba wrote: I make a point of choosing Virgin over those horrid dirty GNER trains.
Yes, but compared to Transpennine, a GNER train is a palace.
I was the misfortune to be on one of them last year.. I wasn't sure if it was a train or a skip on the rails.
DVB Cornwall

http://www.grandcentralrail.co.uk/

Seem to have some good ideas as a train operator.
Andrew

DVB Cornwall wrote:http://www.grandcentralrail.co.uk/

Seem to have some good ideas as a train operator.
The plans have been rejected by the SRA half a dozen times.

It's been launched and relaunched on Look North numerous times as well.

Its been rejected by all accounts because it may take revenue away from current train operators
fusionlad

Isonstine wrote:
The Voyagers are a bit silly - you can get never get a seat on them and are always formed with less carriages than they're supposed to be.
Unfortunatley, the Voyagers are supposed to be either 4 or 5 carriages long. They do however, stick 2 trains together, to form an 8, 9 or 10 car unit. Very rare that though, the trains are just way too small.