Identifying short SMS numbers

DAS

I'm talking short code SMS numbers...

For an odd reason, I recently ordered a ringtone from Kerrang! TV. It hasn't arrived. The text I got back asked me to ring an 0871 helpline number if it didn't arrive. I have called that number three times over the past few days and it constantly rings.

So what are you to do? Is it possible to identify the company operating the short code number, 84099?
johnnyboy

It's probably worth calling OFTEL/OFCOM as they will regulate premium telephone services.

I sort of know a bit about the telephone industry, and I don't think SMS short codes are allocated in the same way as 09 numbers are, so you can't track down the service provider or their customer.
Nick Harvey
God

If it's premium rate, ICSTIS might give you a better chance.
DAS

Ta guys.

Interesting that ICSTIS specifies that it does look after mobile phone shortcodes, but does not recognise it as a valid number.

I'm not sure I can be bothered to follow up with Ofcom or ICSTIS for the sake of £1.50. But I'd love to know the company operating the number just so I can call them up.
Aston

DAS wrote:I have called that number three times over the past few days and it constantly rings.
Be VERY careful with this - there are some companies out there who have been known to simply play a recording of a phone ringing and charge you for the privilege, so you think that your call hasn't been answered, but in fact it HAS, just listening to a "ring ring" etc.

I'm sure that a company as well known as Kerrang wouldn't get involved in that kind of thing though...
DAS

Well it did cross my mind, I have to say. But seeing as services like ringtones are handed out to private companies, would Emap be aware I wonder?

I did a little Google searching and came up with another helpline number that seemed to be the same company, txtuk.co.uk. After the choices were played out, I chose to leave a message and the machine promptly hung up!

So I did a bit more Google searching and found an e-mail address... and, believe it or not, my query was answered instantaneously. According to the e-mail, a cheque refund is in the post. We shall see if it arrives or not...
Mich

Just in case you need it, a postal address...

Fairstowe Chambers
Library Road
Ferndown
Dorset
BH22 9JW

Don't you just love university subscriptions services!
Joe Public

I once replied to a premium rate text that promised two free 3G phones (I am not wet behind the ears) but I wanted to see what happened.

Well nothing happened so I complained to ICTIS and got the company fined £5000.
In connection with my cr*p spelling I would like to anotate all my posts with (sp?)