Missed lunch

Dr Lobster*

i booked a valentines meal at a resturant and failed to turn up because i found somewhere nicer with a better menu and i forgot to ring up an cancel. they've left a message on my mobile phone voice mail saying they're gonna charge me for the table and meal anyway, and if i'd like to pop in or give them a ring, they'll be able to take payment details - they look forward to hearing from me, apparently.

obviously, i'm not going to pay this - is there anything they can do, legally? i didn't sign anything, it was a simple over-the-phone reservation.
Jamez
Banned

Tell them your mother died :lol:
User Removed
Bail

Just say no. Unless they told you that you have to pay even if you fail to turn up then you've no oblication to pay. Just be honest say you found a better place. Or phone back saying they must have the wrong number and you have no idea what they're talking about.
Marcus

Doubt if they can enforse anything although they could claim they had a verbal contract with you. They probabaly are just really pissed at you and trying to get through to you how annoyed they are. They probably turned people away to accomadate you.

It was a pretty throughtless thing to do.
Si-Co

Jamez wrote:Tell them your mother died :lol:
Jamez, that is horrible! Take it back! How many mothers have you allegedly buried while breaking dates? :shock:
Jamez
Banned

Si-Co wrote:
Jamez wrote:Tell them your mother died :lol:
Jamez, that is horrible! Take it back! How many mothers have you allegedly buried while breaking dates? :shock:
Ahh, I'm a wise old fox. I don't do dates. I simply invite the young lady in question round to my house, we then go to a pub/club, come back here horny as hell, shag like bunnies for a while and then fall asleep.

THAT'S the Prouty way! ;)
User Removed
Ed Hammond

Yes.

The making of a reservation is only a collateral contract. Or an invitation to treat. Or something like that. I've forgotten contract law.

Anyway, you don't have to pay. Besides, what would they get you to pay anyway? Even if it was a set menu, they'd be plucking a largely random figure from mid-air. Thoroughly daft. As if you're going to meekly go back and pay them £30 or whatever for absolutely nowt. Quite ridiculous.
Cheese Head
Banned

Go slap them with a glove then leave.
» James »
I don't know my future after this weekend, and I don't want to