Internet Connection Sharing on Windows 98 SE

iSon

A plea now, after several million computer problems since Sunday.

I need to get Internet Connection Sharing on Windows 98 SE but my CD drive has conked out and I needed it to get the files for install off the Windows CD. Damn.

Have searched around the internet but no-one has put together a download of the files I need.

Could a kind person with a 98 SE CD grab all the files I need (LOADS!) as I discovered...can't list all the dll's etc etc but I'm hoping someone will know what's needed.

Either upload or email to [email protected]

Ta!
Good Lord!
cwathen

If you're trying to network your 98SE PC with an XP system, then the Windows XP ICS tool will work on 98SE too, so you don't need the original 98 CD (EDIT: didn't read your post properly, thought you had lost the original CD rather than suffered a knackered drive - in that case, you can now buy new basic CD-ROM drives for around £12, so replacing it isn't expensive).

If not, then it's not strictly necessary to use ICS anyway - in the past I shared an internet connection between 3 98SE PCs (with my own also running 98SE at the time) and it turned out to be simpler and quicker to share the connection with a third party proxy server rather than faff about with the built in ICS.
iSon

Well I'm back properly now.

Setup my wireless network between the PC and laptop and used the laptop drive to grab the 98 CD files and then pop them onto the PC hard drive.

Problem solved! Thank goodness for that...

Would have bought a new DVD drive but new computer is coming in a couple of weeks so really wanted to avoid doing it!

Did look in to third party software, but it seemed like a bit of hassle. Although ICS in 98 is very simple, it does the job and had used it before without any problems so was keen to avoid problems.

Thank goodness the new PC will have XP!
Good Lord!
cwathen

Did look in to third party software, but it seemed like a bit of hassle. Although ICS in 98 is very simple, it does the job and had used it before without any problems so was keen to avoid problems.
Proxy servers can be awkward to configure, but some very simple 'just do the job' solutions do exist - I used to use a tiny little utility called AnalogX Proxy Server. No configuration, you just run it on the host PC, it gives you a list of ports that it uses then you set the other machines to connect via that machines IP address and on the port specified by the proxy server. Very important to use a decent firewall in conjunction with a simple little thing like that though.

Anyway, glad you're back up with ICS though.