Widescreen TV's

This and That

I recently bought a widescreen TV.
However i have found sometimes the picture looks a bit squashed and some of the wording on idents etc look squashed too .Sorry to sound so thick but why is this. :oops:
Jamez
Banned

You need Sky, Freeview or Digital Cable to receive widescreen programmes.

If you have one of the above, just go to to the menu options on the box and set the picture size to 16:9, and not 4:3 (or 4:3 Letterbox).
User Removed
This and That

Thanks Jamez i have set it to 16.9 and sometimes the picture looks odd is it something to do with the broadcasters?.
Neil Jones

This and That wrote:Thanks Jamez i have set it to 16.9 and sometimes the picture looks odd is it something to do with the broadcasters?.
More likely it's your TV that's stretching the picture when it isn't a widescreen signal.

If you tune into Sky News do you see newsreaders that are fat and squashed or tall and thin?

If yes either way, your TV isn't set up right. Somebody else should be able to talk about the correct setting needed because on that channel you should preferably be seeing what is often called a floating picture surrounded by black on your widescreen telly.
marksi

Make sure the digibox is set to 16:9, letterbox OFF, SCART control ON.

Go to Sky News. Change the aspect ratio setting on the TV until you see Sky News with black bars either side.

Now change to BBC News 24. The picture should change to 16:9 and fill the screen.
harshy

Yep that's it, using those settings should correct the aspect ratio automatically, it's just unfortunate that some TV's can't detect the W/S signal from scart.