Isn't Morrisons a pile of crap

Johnny

RJT wrote:Looking at it, I used to work for Safeway but moved a few years ago to ASDA, one of the reasons was I could see this coming, I saw the company going downhill slowly and decided to get out whilst I could.

However looking at it from my point of view, they should have taken a page from WAL-MART's book, if any retailer out there is sucessful it's WAL-MART, look at them, they're the worlds largest!

When WAL-MART entered the UK and Aquired ASDA in 1999, they didn't touch the brand, they kept it and put it alongside it's name, this was the right approach as since then ASDA has remained unaffected and grown because of it.

Why would you want to obliterate a recognised and established brand?

I mean it's now been 5 years since WAL-MART aqquired ASDA and it's only just recently that you've started to see the WAL-MART brand make an appearance in ASDA's stores, however they have made it clear they will never get rid of the ASDA name or brand..
Where have I heard that before......

Oh yes GRANADA who said brands including LWT would stay :evil:

Sorry I'm just bitter ;)
Johnny

Harry Hill : "What is it about people that repair shoes that makes them so good at cutting keys? Try going in there with a shoe shaped like a key and see how confused they get."
cwathen

If you look at ASDA's website, you'll see the new ASDA logo, Part of the WAL*MART family, our newer stores are ASDA WAL*MART Supercentres so if you ask me, Morrisons should have taken this approach, slowed down the rate of integration and concentrated on slowly making the changes.

At the moment what they are doing is ultimately suicidal and especially here in Scotland, they'll end up bringing themselves to their knees, the company really doesn't have much of a chance now as Sir Ken has basically strangled the life out of a strong and well known brand name.
I do agree here. However well established the Morrisons brand is in the north, in the south it is a virtual unknown. Safeway on the other hand, is everywhere.

It would have made more sense to get rid of the Morrisons brand and rename everything to Safeway.

Looking at their brand however, they really should have rolled in something new if they were going to do this. I have never seen such a tacky rooted in the mid-80's brand in my life.
James Martin

Or just run both.

I don't think the Morrisons "culture" washes well with Southerners. It's a very typicaly northern type of company, really.
Pete

no JM, see northerners think it's crap too.
James Martin

But Northeners will put up with it is what I'm saying Hyma. Must say the stuff I've had from there is shite though.
Johnny

I saw an advert today with both the Morrisions & Safeway logo on it & the safeway one looked genius comared to morrisons
Johnny

Harry Hill : "What is it about people that repair shoes that makes them so good at cutting keys? Try going in there with a shoe shaped like a key and see how confused they get."
nwtv2003

Johnny wrote:I saw an advert today with both the Morrisions & Safeway logo on it & the safeway one looked genius comared to morrisons
God their advertising is so confusing at the moment, they've got 3 different ones, one for Morrisons only (which appears at Morrisons stores, papers in towns with Morrisons only stores and ITV depending where you live), the second being "More Reasons to Shop at Morrisons/Safeway" which is appearing everywhere, I think I saw the same ad about 100 times on Sky Movies last week, and the third which I saw in last Tuesday's Manchester Evening News was just a simple "More Reasons to Shop at Safeway"

Great eh? Though I do agree with everyone else that they should keep the Safeway brand, well for now anyway, or do what Asda is doing and inform your customers that this company has new owners.
Johnny

I saw a report on ITN news about the four major supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda & Morrisions) & although it diddnt have the M it had the lettering & looked the oldest of the lot. The colours don't help much either, look at sainsbury's
Johnny

nidave

Can anyone in NI tell me if Safeway who took over Wellworths are being rebranded Morrisons?

Used to hate Wellworths. But less than Stewarts Group - Including Crazy Prices - we used to buy "Yellow Pak" (the equivilent to Tesco Value) and it was complete rubbish.

#That's great, thats ace, thats sensational, thats super crazy prices#
A.J.A.

nidave wrote:Can anyone in NI tell me if Safeway who took over Wellworths are being rebranded Morrisons?

Used to hate Wellworths. But less than Stewarts Group - Including Crazy Prices - we used to buy "Yellow Pak" (the equivilent to Tesco Value) and it was complete rubbish.

#That's great, thats ace, thats sensational, thats super crazy prices#
The rumour was that Morrisons didn't want the Northern Ireland stores and no stores have, as yet, been rebranded with the ugly tarantula-coloured mess they call a logo. A joke, I think, when many national multiples are falling over themselves to gain a presence in the province these days, having quietly given us a wide berth when things weren't quite so rosey. As I may have said before, one of the best performing Sainsbury's (Forestside) and M&S (Sprucefield) are in Greater Belfast.

Inside an NI Safeway, it's a very "Morrison-ised" selling Morrisons products some of which this household quite like.

There was another rumour that Asda were looking to purchase some or all of the NI stores, which would be nice (?) except I can't see them buying up small Safeways stores such as in my home town (which was supposed in line for a huge Safeway superstore just prior to the WM takeover).
nidave

A.J.A. wrote:
As I may have said before, one of the best performing Sainsbury's (Forestside) and M&S (Sprucefield) are in Greater Belfast..
Sprucefield is not greater belfast - its Lisburn - My home town with a new HUGE sainsburys.

There is not a greater belfast so to speak just towns and cities that border onto belfast.