"Life after the oil crash" - very scary shit

Big Brother

Funnily before it launched they did a survey and went around certain area's and in the high street doing a survey about recycling.

I recall one person coming to the door and doing the survey at our house (we support it so no skin off our nose).

The survey showed that 74.5% of us here said we would recycle if given the chance.

In an independant survey by readers of the local rip off newspaper found that no-one recalls taking part in such survey.... now that they know they will have to do this work to recycle.
MrTomServo

Big Brother wrote:I know I'm not American but I would really like to see the new/continueing President do something about it rather than sort out the goings on of other countries like Iraq.
Let's follow the money, shall we?

:arrow: Automakers sell big huge vehicles for high prices.
:arrow: People buy them, because that's all they can get. And they like riding up high.
:arrow: Automakers make big profits.
:arrow: President wants to reduce auto emissions.
:arrow: Automakers see this as a problem, and contribute to his re-election account.
:arrow: President makes a new friend.
:arrow: Automakers get what they want.
:arrow: (sound of planet dying)

Mich

MrTomServo wrote: The good news is that you can save that plastic Coke bottle on your desk, James, and it will be worth a cool grand someday!
Aha, i'm rich!

Big Brother

I see you have a small selection of Diet Lemon or Vanilla flavour in there.

Anyhoo, talk about a fire hazard. Burn that and you'll get another hole in the ozone layer rofl.
Bail

You know if you don't like the blue on your walls there are better and cheaper ways of covering it up. How long has that been building up? You must be a Coke Addict...
Gavin Scott
Admin

I did the same thing years ago with empty 2L Diet Coke bottles.

Only thing was they de-pressurised over time resulting in a leaning wall which fell over through the night.

I nearly wet the bed I got such a fright.
noelfirl

Big Brother wrote:My local council has started this major recycling programme... in which we have no choice but to take part. lol

We have been provided with a large Green Composte bin. And a decent sized Green box for all things paper, plastic and cans.

The Compost bin gets emptied every 2 weeks and the green box every week. Meanwhile there is a sting to it. The traditional black "wheelie" bin as it's known usually fills pretty quickly and hence why they were emptied weekly. Not anymore. Know your traditional wheelie bin only get's emptied every 2 weeks when the green one doesn't.

A lot of people are moaning about it - mainly because they can't be bothered to put bottles in the box and raw food waste in the green bin. Certain streets are now filled with rubbish people cannot be bothered to put in the correct box/bin.

It's the way to go, but it demonstrates the british publics ignorance in recycling... coincidently Angus Council refuse to go back to emptying the bins weekly.
We have just anout managed to switch over to a relatively good recycling system. Whereas before the normal black bin would be automatically emptied out each week by the county council in return for a one off payment at the start of each year, the payment has been abolished and now each time you want your bin emptied, you have to buy a €6 tag to put on it.

€6 a week actually costs more then the original once-a-year bin tax, so many people have managed to reduce putting their bin out to once every two weeks. Carboard, paper, cans and tins go into the green recycling bin which gets emptied once a month (for free), and if you want to you can get a free composter from the CC for your back garden, put all the veggie skins and stuff in there and a few months later you've got compost for your back garden, or you can get the county council to take it away. It doesn't smell either if you keep a good mix of things in it. (Althoug egg shells accidentaly ended in it one week, the less said about that the better)
Jenny

If I remember correctly what I learnt in school, the world's supply of oil will run out in 1998.
cwathen

I do agree that China/East and the US are the biggest problems here. With China & the east I can understand why they want more oil for cars & plastic etc. But should they be allowed to follow in our bad example of oil consumption and pollution. With the US however I think, no offence to them, but it's rediculous. (This is for all those Mums in the UK who have massive people carriers for 2 kids). There is no need to have huge massive cars and truck and jeeps just to get your shopping from your local Walmart.
What I fail to see is why exactly all these small cars do so well over here, yet in America you never hear or see the sight of Citroen C3 or Ford Fiesta etc? I know I'm not American but I would really like to see the new/continueing President do something about it rather than sort out the goings on of other countries like Iraq.
I think over here small cars do well because of the incentives to have them (greatly reduced road tax, and of course our high fuel prices mean that bigger cars with bigger engines cost much more to run).

In America the reason for the popularity of large cars has surely got to come largely down to the fact that it's so affordable to run them.
Mich

Bail wrote:You know if you don't like the blue on your walls there are better and cheaper ways of covering it up. How long has that been building up? You must be a Coke Addict...
Indeed, they have been building up for just over 4 years now, but luckily they are fairly stable. Only when someone feels like starting a coke bottle pool while mildly drunk do they fall over! Some vanilla and cherry coke bottles are mixed in, but the vast majority are normal.
Chris

Are the rising prices in gas and electricity a sign of worse things to come?

Or is the energy industry just going through a rough patch at the moment?

:?