Dangerous new virus - VBS.Pub

DJGM

From Symantec Security Response . . .
VBS.Pub is a VBScript file-infecting and mass-mailing worm. VBS.Pub infects the
files that have the .asp, .hta, .htm, .htt, .html, .vbe, and .vbs. file extensions.

The worm also uses Microsoft Outlook to send itself to everyone
in the Microsoft Outlook Address Book.

If the day is the 6th, 13th, 21st, or 28th, the worm will
delete all the files from the computer.
When there are viruses such as this particularly nasty one roaming wild, it just goes to show
how essentiallly important it is, to keep all our computer security, as up to date as possible.

Full details available here . . .
Anonymous

Thanks for letting me know. :)

I hate those computer geeks who keep on making worms and viruses :evil:
rts

DJGM wrote:If the day is the 6th, 13th, 21st, or 28th, the worm will
delete all the files from the computer.
I your post was a joke when I read this bit.

Sadly it's not...
cdd

What I don't get is why people have the compulsive urge to post "virus updates" like this? If you're foolish enough to get a virus then - in all honesty - you deserve it. I don't have any virus protection software, and - by applying a bit of common sense - how many viruses have I got? none.
Martin

cdd wrote:What I don't get is why people have the compulsive urge to post "virus updates" like this? If you're foolish enough to get a virus then - in all honesty - you deserve it. I don't have any virus protection software, and - by applying a bit of common sense - how many viruses have I got? none.

I think that’s a entirely foolish way of looking at it.

I don’t download sex diallers nor do I open holiday photos with an exe extension but that doesn’t mean to say I'm not going to somehow find myself with a virus. Sure there are many obvious viruses however they are not all like that requring more than 'common sense' from the user.

It’s easy to forget that your immediate circle of friends is not representative of the average pc user, so something you might consider blindingly obvious may pass someone else by.

It's this sort of 'pc arrogance' that leaves so many people fearful of even beginning to learn to use computers and the internet.

And next time take a look at the name above the door before you think virus discussion is somehow unworthy.

Thankyou
Dr Lobster*

not only that, but some virusus do not require the intervention of the user at all. take for instance the blaster worm which made use of a fault with the rpc protocol. even if you had update virus protection there was a risk you could become infected within the first few hours of the outbreak if you didn't have the microsoft patch installed (or a firewall blocking that port). many home users do not know (or have the patience) to download the mass of patches on the windows update site.
Bail

Dr Sigmund Mohammad wrote:not only that, but some virusus do not require the intervention of the user at all. take for instance the blaster worm which made use of a fault with the rpc protocol. even if you had update virus protection there was a risk you could become infected within the first few hours of the outbreak if you didn't have the microsoft patch installed (or a firewall blocking that port). many home users do not know (or have the patience) to download the mass of patches on the windows update site.
Which is exactrly why you should keep Windows updated often, so when an update does come around it is only one small download, rather than never updating so there are 30mb of updates needed.
cdd

Martin wrote:I don’t download sex diallers nor do I open holiday photos with an exe extension but that doesn’t mean to say I'm not going to somehow find myself with a virus.
If you don't do anything which goes against the grain of "common sense" you won't get a virus. I say this from experience: I have not got one virus despite the fact I've never had any virus software installed. Furthermore, few viruses are cruel enough to wipe the entire hard-drive, if you back up often (as you should) then even the worst of viruses can't do anything but take up an hour or so of your time.
Martin wrote:It’s easy to forget that your immediate circle of friends is not representative of the average pc user, so something you might consider blindingly obvious may pass someone else by.
But this simply isn't true; the majority of people are very aware of viruses. In fact, most people are overly aware such that they worry about any attatchment to an e-mail.

Let's put it another way. How often does norton update itself? Once every now and again. How often do new viruses come out? Constantly. Now most people don't tell norton antivirus to update every single time they check their e-mail just in case they're going to receive a virus - but it's the newest viruses that go round fastest. Virus protection is useless.
Martin wrote:It's this sort of 'pc arrogance' that leaves so many people fearful of even beginning to learn to use computers and the internet.
No, it's the constant hype in newspapers / news programmes, and threads like this, which make people worried about computers / internet.
Sigmund wrote:many home users do not know (or have the patience) to download the mass of patches on the windows update site.
And most norton antivirus users won't download the "mass of updates". In fact most people who need to have programs like Norton Antivirus won't even be able to work it fluently. Plus you have to pay for norton's updates.
rts

Sorry, Chris. You couldn't get off your high horse could you? Having trouble hearing you all the way up there.
cdd

rts wrote:Sorry, Chris. You couldn't get off your high horse could you? Having trouble hearing you all the way up there.
If you wish to provide evidence to contradict my argument go ahead, but flippant remarks like that mean nothing.
Martin

cdd wrote:I say this from experience: I have not got one virus despite the fact I've never had any virus software installed. Furthermore, few viruses are cruel enough to wipe the entire hard-drive, if you back up often (as you should) then even the worst of viruses can't do anything but take up an hour or so of your time.
If you have never once used an anti-virus program then how do know you do not have a virus? I'd give Norton a go before what you say comes across as complete arrogance. Frankly I would rather be unsophisticatedly common and use antivirus than waste that hour of my time fixing the computer.
cdd wrote:But this simply isn't true; the majority of people are very aware of viruses. In fact, most people are overly aware such that they worry about any attatchment to an e-mail.

Virus protection is useless.
We are all aware of viruses, but let's not confuse that with being able to deal with them.

With an entry in the top 10 Top-Selling Business Software list each month for the past three years; Norton must be of use to a few people.

Oh and two tea's in attachment, no coffee.
cdd wrote:No, it's the constant hype in newspapers / news programmes, and threads like this, which make people worried about computers / internet.
What you choose to read in the newspapers is your business, but any virus that makes it to mainstream news programmes is usually worthy of being noted.
cdd wrote:Plus you have to pay for norton's updates.
Comes completely free as part of the software package for the first year, thereafter it works out at £13.81 (based on 2003 edition).