Closing down...

Old man pubs - yay or nay?

Yes, I like places full of men in cardigan.
71%
No, I prefer characterless bars like All Bar One
29%

Total votes: 7
Ed Hammond

A lovely pub which I have frequented for the last five years closes for good next Wednesday, to be turned into (bloody hell) a gastropub.

Do you bemoan the fact that decent pubs, ones where you can play pool for an old 10p piece, with an old tv set in the corner permanently inexplicably tuned to Ceefax and a seating area so small that the place is packed even if there's only fifteen people in there, that did a barbecue in the summer with free food for anyone who turned up, are now disappearing forever?

Or do you really enjoy visiting those revolting J.D. Wetherspoon/Hogshead etc etc monstrosities that have as much atmosphere as the moon, surly staff and are full of twats? Are you the kind of person who is amused by places called "Progress Bar" and "Bar Humbug"? Do you enjoy paying £3.50 for a lukewarm bottle of undrinkable, obscure Belgian beer?

You may consider that the poll is weighted somewhat to reflect my own opinion, but it's my poll. So there.
Nugs

Well usually if I'm going out for the evening, I head straight for Bar Med, Edwards, The Hogshead and the like as they usually play good, loud music and the drinks are dirt cheap. The atmosphere is usually pretty good as well.

If, however, I just fancy a few quiet pints, then I prefer a more traditional pub. Sometimes it's nice to go somewhere where the beer and food is excellent, and it's not too packed out.

Also, the traditional pubs are a good place to go to see a local band or two. :D

So I can't really cast a vote for either, as I like both types of pub.
nwtv2003

A Shame about your Pub Ed, but I am like you I prefer the Traditional style of pub, even though Warrington isn't full of them and they're full of these places, and frankly I don't see what the big fuss is all about. Nothing wrong with old style pubs when you want the odd drink. I don't mind more modern places, there's a nice pub near us called the London Bridge and that is old, but it has been modernised and it is very nice, the good thing being is that the right people still go there, a nice thing really.
iSon

You can't beat a traditional pub. But having said that...my local pub is both a pub, restaurant and hotel. It was recently taken over by Everards and refurbished. But despite it being part of a chain, it's still a lovely place and it's nice to see all the regulars still down there.

And of course...with quiz of the week on a thursday and karaoke on a friday. How can you complain!?
Good Lord!
Nick Harvey
God

Ed Hammond wrote:Yes, I like places full of men in cardigan.
Gay and Welsh, eh?
Jenny

I prefer downing a few quarts of poteen in the privacy of my own toilet, but each to their own...