Sky+

fusionlad

There is an option on the Sky+ box to 'Keep'. You press a coloured button on the remote to protect your programme, and that is then kept safely on the hard drive.

On the subscription note, I already subscribe to Sky Sports 1 & 2, so will not have to subscribe to Sky+ aswell.
Nugs

I wouldn't mind upgrading to Sky+. But don't they charge you an extra £10 on top of your normal subscription for the privilage? :shock:
Joe Public

Nugs wrote:I wouldn't mind upgrading to Sky+. But don't they charge you an extra £10 on top of your normal subscription for the privilage? :shock:
Have they not changed this so that if you subscribe to a premium channel they dont charge the tenner?
Nugs

I'm not sure. I only have the Family Pack anyway. I used to have the Sky World pack in the days of Analogue Sky, but I downgraded when I switched to digital as I hardly ever watched the movie or sports channels.

I think I preferred Sky Analogue anyway.
fusionlad

Joe Public wrote:
Nugs wrote:I wouldn't mind upgrading to Sky+. But don't they charge you an extra £10 on top of your normal subscription for the privilage? :shock:
Have they not changed this so that if you subscribe to a premium channel they dont charge the tenner?
If you subscribe to 2 premium channels, ie Sky Sports 1 & 2, you don't have to pay the tenner.
cwathen

I think I preferred Sky Analogue anyway.
I know I did. I couldn't really care less about the 'digital quality' (an untterly meaningless statement in point of fact) picture or sound (especially since the compressed MPEG2 audio is technically inferior to the FM stereo sound they had with analogue), nor could I really care about interactive TV. And whilst I like EPGs, I could live without them.

With analogue, you had a nice pacakge of about 25 channels, all of which were worthwhile, all of which carried decent programme, meaning that there was always something on to watch.

With digital, you have the same programming as before spread out ever more thinly because there are more channels than they know what to do with, and frequently there is nothing on to watch, or if you do find something you like, you will find it repeated ad nauseum day in day out (a recent example is the Maragaret Thatcher documentary which debuted last week on UK History - interesting the first time, but it's now being repeated 2 or 3 times a day, amongst the usual range of WW2 documentaries that are also run in a never ending loop).

And aswell as that, the greater range of channels all competing to get the same advertisers means that advertising rates are falling, limiting the programme choice a channel is able to provide - leading to channels like UK Gold turning into shadows of their former selves.

I certainly think I got more out of Sky Analogue than I ever have with Digital, the good programming is spread out so thinly that you almost fail to notice it.
jay

The 'subscription' is for the use of other features such as Instant Rewind and Live Pause.

I had Sky+ a few months ago (just before Christmas, I think), and it really is amazing. It is true that once you've had it you wonder how you ever managed without it. It really is good and it will change your TV habits forever!
Twitter: @jasonbetts
Pete

why would you need a subscription for that though as you're just recording something you've already paid to watch. That's like saying I need to pay an extra subscription to turn my TV on to watch Sky.
"He has to be larger than bacon"